girl meets Life

Maya woke up next morning to rays of sunshine pouring into Riley's room. She must have fallen asleep in the Matthews house. Riley was still asleep, hugging her as she did.
Maya making sure not to wake Riley up made her way down after getting ready for the day.
"Morning" maya said with big smile on her face.
"As much as I love seeing you smile," Topanga said while setting up for breakfast "it's last day of school before winter break, please go wake Riley up"

"What?? School? Do I have to?" Maya said playfully dropping her smile into a dramatic frown. "Yes, it's the last day. There's no reason to skip. Go wake up Riley" and so maya made her way back to Riley's room and the two best friends showed up to breakfast a little while later hands intertwined together with brilliant smiles on their faces.

"Morning family!"

"Morning-not-family!"
This was their usual way of greeting but Topanga and Josh both objected to it.
"Nope. Now it's family"
"Yeah!"
Maya still couldn't get the thought of thinking of mr.matthews as her brother in her head.
Josh had promised no changes in their relationship but boy was everything else about to change.
"So, what's the plan for the day?" Topanga asked sitting down and starting to eat.

"Have none, other than the last test" maya answered while Riley said
"Well, since it's the last day before break, we'll probably hang out after school and then home, dinner and some tv."
"Seems like a good day!" Topanga said to her daughter, happy to see her family in a good place.
"It is unless our teacher decides to ruin it. See he's crazy, a complete crazy person" Riley continued, making fun of her father who made a dramatic gesture of sadness.
"Yeah, he's usually the one to ruin our days" maya added enjoying the dynamic.

"Well then, Josh your not invited anymore," Cory said, holding his head up.
"Wait for what?" Maya and Riley asked, unsure of what was going on.
"Well, I did invite Josh to help in the class today and just hang out but I guess he can stay home. Far away from you since your teachers so mean and crazy"
The banter continued through breakfast in which the girls found out that Josh would be spending the day with them. The girls were extremely happy about it but Auggie was upset.

"How come they get to hang out with uncle josh and not me?!"

"Auggie-"

"He's my uncle too!!"

"He's my husband" maya cut into the conversation between Topanga and Auggie.

"You can't use that every-time. That's not fair.." Auggie said honestly feeling left out.

"Okay, how about this, you can come to meet us at the coffee shop after school and hang out?" Josh suggested.

"He can?" Riley turned to her mother with a sad expression.

"Yes he can"

~~~~~~~~

School seemed to go on forever, maya and Riley had history last period meaning she wouldn't actually see Josh till the end. Maya was so distracted she wasn't paying attention in art. That was until the teacher announced that they would be drawing from life and Josh walked in.

"This is Joshua Matthews, the brother of our history teacher here, Cory Matthews and of course, Riley's uncle. He has very kindly offered to help around the school today.
Please, Joshua, sit"

"Josh is fine sir" the teacher nodded and left when Josh turned and winked at maya.

Josh then showed up in the gym to play volleyball with them.
Afterward, they were finally in history.

"I know I've asked before what history is but I want to know what history is to you guys. What do you think maya?"

"You mean Farkle?" Maya answered.

"No. I mean, something big happened in your life, do you think it was a part of history?" Maya and Josh flushed a little but didn't show any other reaction.

"What?"

"History you once told me is time passing by. But what events should we consider to be historical?
You guys, history is looking at you right now with big burning eyes but not everything is going to be remembered.
Sometimes things that we consider to be so important and so big is sometimes nothing.
How do you decide what's actually real, what's important to you?"

"You decide by how it makes you feel" maya answered. She had gotten her grades up after freshman year.

"Yes maya, very good. Josh, you have any thoughts on this?"

"Not really, I think if it's important you just know agreeing with maya, you just feel it" Josh answered giving maya a smile that made Riley aww silently.

"Yeah. Okay, your project for this break is to write an essay; the idea of the essay is to overall explain how historians pick events in history to tell, What history is to you and how dependent is history on what the historians think about it?" Cory said handing them a paper with more detail.

"Wait, I don't get the last part," Riley asked raising her hand.

"Its the idea that history changes when you look at it from different perspectives. Think about this Riley, I'm telling the story of... Cory and Topanga. I look at them I see a perfect couple, knows what they're doing, good family kids. Now from your dads perspective, it was probably a lot harder. Making things work, taking care of you and Auggie. Learning how to do that, it's probably not perfect."

Cory was happy Josh was helping out and everything seemed to be going great until maya said "you kidding me? Connect a historical event to these ideas? I actually have to open a book this break?"

"Yes you d- wait, you don't have any other homework?"

"Nope, just you and only you. And you say you aren't that horrible of a teacher" Riley said frowning at the paperwork.

~~~~~~~~
School ended and they were hanging out at the cafe when Riley came up with the idea to have a Christmas party.this would have been great but Lucas and Zay would be going back home for Christmas and smakle and Farkle were going to visit smakle's parents.

So at the dinner, Riley sat quietly obviously upset that she couldn't have a party.
"What's wrong honey?" Topanga asked while eating her food.
"I wanted to have a Christmas party but-"

"Oh, honey I'm sorry you can't have one"

"Why not?"

"We're all going to Philadelphia to be with your grandma and grandpa. Josh is here so they can't drive" Topanga explained.

Riley sighed, obviously not happy. She really wanted to have a Christmas party. It's their last year, together and she really wanted to spend it together, she had, had everything planned. Maya noticed how unhappy Riley looked.

"how about we have a party today well not today but tomorrow" maya suggested but that idea was also taken off because Lucas and Zay that for taxes that night as they spoke.

" you still get to see your grandparents it will be fun don't worry too much about it. How about we go watch some red planet diaries?" maya said happily excited for Christmas. 

"you don't have any plans?" Riley asked happily

"well- Josh and I were gonna go get hot chocolate but now he's buying it ( walking in the cold )  for us while we watch tv!" maya said making Josh laugh. 
"oh no, I don't want to intrude on your plans" 

"ya sure?" maya said knowing the answer "no, I really want to... and hot chocolate sounds delicious" 

"great, they get to have hot chocolate?" Auggie asked the poor kid had been feeling left out of everything since Ava was away for the holidays. 
"am I allowed to have some?" 

"no" Topanga answered with a smile as she started to clean up. "but why not?!" 

"they are older and can control caffeine at night better. I can barely get you to sleep without any caffeine" 

by the end of dinner, it was decided that Auggie would be going with Josh to buy the hot chocolate making everyone happy. 

sitting at the couch watching red planet diaries re-runs with Josh and Riley made maya realize that it had been a good day and that she had truly started to love life.