Chapter One

All I wanted to do was get a pair of combat boots. Black ones.

I walk into the shoe store then walk to the aisle with combat boots. I've been here so many times to stare at them that I have the aisle memorized.

My family isn't poor. If you could call it a family. It's Mom and I in a townhouse. It's just my mom is a workaholic and I'm lucky if I see her for a minute. Some eighteen year olds would get high or drunk every night, not me. She's not my mom, she took me in after my parents got into a car accident. She tells me to call her mom.

In my case I work at Roquefield Towers as a receptionist from 1:30-5:00.

If I ever want to buy anything I have to pay for it. Including food, any food. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks.

I walk to the Checkout Line, four people in front of me. I wait. When it's my turn, five men/guys in black clothing and black ski-masks walk in with guns aimed all directions.

The one who seems to be the leader yells, "Everyone sit down, don't say anything and don't move means no one gets shot."

I, obviously, sit down. As does everyone else in the store. Which is the cashier, a probably mid-twenty year old guy who's buff, a mom with two kids (a boy and a girl, probably twins, probably 12) and me. The mom pushes the kids behind her.

Two guys walk over to the mom and kids and stand in front of them. The other three walk to the cashier and I.

The leader and I make awkward eye contact. Very, very awkward. He points the gun at the cashier. "Put the money in the bag."

I roll my eyes at how cliché that statement was.

"What? You think it's okay to roll your eyes at me?" The leader yells at me.

Suddenly all guns face me.

I stay silent, my sassy side fighting to come out.

"I asked you a question, I expect an answer!" He yells.

"I obviously think it's okay to roll my eyes at you if I did so." I roll my eyes again, forgetting the situation.

"Did you seriously just roll your eyes, when you have five guns on you?" He asks me.

"Are you blind? Yes. I did roll my eyes." Oops. This kid is annoying, sorry I get sassy. It's a problem.

Police sirens sound out front.

The leader looks at the two other guys near me. Then flicks his eyes to me. The two goons grab my arms and manhandle me to the leader.

I feel cold metal press to my head.

"Don't scream. I will not hesitate to pull the trigger." He whispers in my ear.

"Wasn't planning on it." I mumble so he can hear it.

His grip tightens as the group, with me hostage, run out a back door from the shoe store.

I get shoved into the back of a car, not van or truck. And blindfolded.

"Sorry, but looks like you're coming on an adventure." Leader says from the front seat.

"Fun." I mumble.

"Sassy, oh so sassy." He groans.

"Would you be in a good mood if you just wanted to buy combat boots then get kidnapped?" I snap.

"Uh sorry?" He sounds unsure. "Where do you live? I'll take you home." He says.

"Aw, how sweet." Sarcasm dripping off my tongue.

"I should've grabbed the cashier." He mumbles under his breath.

"So what's your name?" I try to make conversation.

"What's yours?" He asks.

"Dylan. What's yours?" I ask again.

"Call me Zach." He says simply.

"So, Zach, where are we going?" I ask.

"What's your address?" He asks again.

"P Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney." I recite.

"Okay, Dory." He probably shakes his head.

"At least you know Nemo. But can you take off my blindfold?" I ask quietly.

He stiffens and clears his throat. "Right." He pulls over and gets out.

The door next to me opens. Zach pulls me out of the car, takes off my blindfold, gets in the car again and drives away.

I would be hurt but he caused me to not get my combat boots and have guns pointed at me left and right. I look around, only to realize that I am about a twenty minute walk home. Thank gosh, I held onto my black JanSport backpack. In it is my wallet, phone and other essentials.

I pull out my iPhone 5s and plug in my headphones. I play 'How to Save a Life' by The Fray. I hum along.

•.•

I walk in my front door, then lock it behind me. I've had enough time with criminals for today.

I plop onto my couch and watch the SEASON FINALE of Finding Carter. When I get a text on my cellular device.

Mom: Working late, tomorrow I'm going to go on a business trip for two weeks.

She doesn't understand, that I know she goes on a business trip every month for the first two weeks, literally September 1st-September 14th. That's what this trip's dates are. Sometimes she's gone for a month.

She says it's for money but we still rent this small townhouse. That I only live in.

I keep watching the telly.

I turn on The Conjuring.

Not my best idea for when I'm home alone.

It doesn't bother me too much, because I've seen it a lot but man that stuff creepy.

I decide to watch another movie. So I watch Grease. Hands down one of the best movies ever. I can dance with them during Grease Lightning, Summer Loving, You are the One that I Want and the last song, I have no idea what it's called. (A/N: All true.)

Then I watch Clueless. Another AMAZING movie.

Then Mean Girls.

I've seen all of these movies probably 10+ times. No joke.

I put on Nick at Nite and fall asleep to it.

•.•

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Ah yes! Another story by yours truly @hereisAnna!

This chapter has a lot of in text Author's Notes (A/N:...) <-that's what an in text Authors Note looks like.

Anywhoooo

BYYAAA

-A<3