EPISODE 04

PAIN

      PAIN. THAT'S ALL VALERIE FEELS WHEN SHE WAKES UP. Valerie groans as she struggles to sit up, her head pounding against her skull from the events of yesterday.

She sits up staring at Vanya's bed, debating whether she should get pills or shower first but the feeling of disgust makes her move slowly towards the bathroom. Once she gets there, she lets out a curse at the realization of forgetting to bring her clothes so she goes back and throws sweatpants and a sweater together.

The hot water beats down on her and relaxes her muscles a bit as she stands under the spray for a while, her mind replaying yesterday before it comes back to her. Her gloves.

Valerie finishes up her shower and gets dressed before going downstairs for pills and a cup of tea. Valerie wonders if two will be enough or not before throwing them back and swallowing them dry with a scrunch of her face.

Slowly, Valerie makes her way to where she remembered she dropped her gloves last night only to find it gone, "mom?" Valerie calls out as she looks around the living room.

"Mom?" She calls out after looking around the living room and goes to look for her mom.

Valerie checks the laundry room, goes back to the kitchen to see if she went in there but finds no one so Valerie makes her way back upstairs, "mom?"

"V?" Valerie hears Allison call back as she walks out from her room dressed up, "what's wrong?"

Valerie ignores the question and nods towards her sister's attire, "where you going and where did mom go? I can't find my gloves and I'm pretty sure she tried to clean them or something," Valerie instinctively closes her hands into fists.

Allison sighs and looks down before slowly walking over to Valerie who stares back at her worried and confused, "what's going on?" She asks slowly.

"V, mom's gone," once the words register in Valerie's mind she immediately short circuits.

Valerie shakes her head, "very funny," she says while forcing a smile only for Allison not to smile back, "it's a joke right?" She asks and Allison just gives her a bigger frown, "it's... not?"

"You wanna—"

"No," Valerie stops Allison, "I don't want to see her... I just," Valerie goes quiet as she tries to figure out what happened to her mom, "...it was those assholes, right? Those fuckers that broke into our house."

"V, I know you're—"

Valerie holds up her hand and takes a deep breath, "we can't fix her?"

Allison shrugs with a tired expression, "I-I don't know, with how we found her-"

Valerie winces at the thought of what they did, "let's just— do you- do you have any gloves that I can borrow?" Valerie changes the subject quickly.