Chapter 3

"That was unexpected," A slightly chipper voice cut through my thoughts. I turned around startled, only to see a slightly frowning and dressed down Choromatsu leaning against the closed door with his arms crossed.

"Choro..." Saying his name made me break down and I lay the violin and bow down onto the chair before running into him, burying my face into his chest and started to cry.

"What brought this on?" He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and moved a hand to brush hair out of my face.

"I don't want to marry into any other family! I want to stay here with everyone--" I couldn't hold back the sobs, "I want to go back to how we were!"

"Oh, (y/n)..." Choromatsu's voice became soft as a hand moved under my chin, lifting my face up from its hiding spot, "I'd never force you to marry someone. I'd want you to find a man you love on your own. Even if I did force you, I've got five devils on my back that would beat the living shit out of me if they heard I had something to do with it," He gave me a wide smile and leaned down to plant a soft kiss on my forehead.

"Heh...I guess. Plus, you'd have to deal with me coming after you, too," I wiped away my tears and started to smile, "So, I guess that's six devils."

"There's the smile I like to see on you. I'm sorry for having Jyushi sit next to you tonight, but I needed that security for myself with the Yowai family around," He gave me his signature smirk.

"I was wondering why, but I'm also curious as to who the new person was sitting with the Yowais. I'd never seen him before," Taking a step back, I wiped off my face with my sleeves while Choromatsu put his hand underneath his chin.

"I haven't seen anything of him before today, so I could only guess that it's a new member they wanted to introduce to their allies. But don't worry about that, just focus on your concert in three days, okay?" Choromatsu sighed and smiled, bringing his hand from his chin to the top of my head, "That'll make us happy, (y/n). Don't bog yourself down with our dirty dealings."

"Okay, I'll try," I went to pick up the violin and bow from the chair, ensuring that it was still tuned before motioning if Choromatsu wanted to listen. He softly smiled and took his radio earpiece out of his ear, sitting down on the chair and nodding for me to continue.

I played to my heart's content as I fingered out the music by memory, completely forgetting about the one-man audience as the accompanying tunes swirl in my head as if I were playing live with a conductor right in front of me. My fingers begin to throb from playing too long, but I push past the pain and finish all six pieces that I had a major role in within the upcoming concert.

After the last held note, I lifted the bow up and opened my eyes to see six similar faces smiling and clapping for me. I blinked in shock before laughing out loud while I tried to get all of them in a single hug. An impossible feat, of course, but they all hug me back, despite Choromatsu being squished in the middle.

"That was wonderful to listen to, (y/n)!" Osomatsu stated, standing next to Choromatsu with Jyushimatsu nodding vigorously on the other side.

"I agree with your conductor that you need to stop dancing with the music, but I can approve of it here," Ichimatsu had pulled down his usual surgical mask and gave me a wide toothy grin.

"Leave her be, that's years of practice and listening to her own songs. She can handle sitting still for an hour or more," Todomatsu still had his face towards a screen, but I had a feeling that he watched all of my performance.

"Told ya' I'd do it," Karamatsu smiled from just outside the door. I pushed past my other brothers and gave him the biggest hug I could muster with how worn out I was, "I'm really proud of you. We all are."

"I know...and thank you," I smiled up at him before going to put away the violin. I had to sleep at a decent time, and despite this little respite, I knew they all had work to do, "I'll make it up to you all, by playing my best at the concert!"

----

With his little sister now completely focused on the concert and improving herself, Osomatsu focused more on the activity in his family's territory and the rogue gang or family in the Yowai territory. The practice he watched her perform two days ago made him more aggressive than usual at work, reminding himself time after time that he was protecting more than just his siblings, but what they had as well.

There was no way that some asshole would try to swipe that from underneath their feet, through marriage or otherwise. The full rehearsal was scheduled for today, and it would be only open for immediate family members. For a fee, of course, but ¥2500 a ticket was chump change for a chance to see (y/n) perform live.

"Jyushimatsu, I want you to take your men and wander around the Yowai territory. If you find trouble, quench it," He looked at the yellow-clothed brother, "I want you to be extra thorough, (y/n)'s concert is taking place near there and I don't want any -- ANY -- kind of issue popping up during that time," He emphasized.

Jyushimatsu stiffened a little before smirking widely, "Of course. I'll keep patrols up during that time, so record it for me."

Osomatsu nodded and focused on Karamatsu as Jyushi left, "Can I count on you to keep it business as usual here?"

"Always. Where are you going?"

"Letting off steam."

"You're not going, are you?" Karamatsu gritted his teeth and glared at the older brother, expecting an answer.

"I will be, just not all the way through. I plan to be at the concert plaza before the intermission. I have some business to take care of afterwards before it gets out of hand," Osomatsu matched the glare with his own smirk.

"You don't mean--"

"He's made his move, and I plan to hit him with checkmate before (y/n) has a break," He stood up from the red oak desk that had papers scattered all over it, moving over to Karamatsu and putting a hand on his shoulder, "I want you here in case he decides to make a wrong move."

"...fine..."

"Great! I'm gonna double-check little Totty's grid before I head out for 'lunch'," Osomatsu slung his suit jacket over his shoulder before leaving his office. Karamatsu sighed and sat down in the large swivel chair, starting to go through the paperwork and organize the mess the eldest always made.

Osomatsu made his way down towards the basement, intentionally walking past the medical wing to check in with Ichimatsu. He looked at the written waiting list and saw that the names went past the allotted time for (y/n)'s concert, figuring he would have to record for two brothers. He quickly scrawled a note and shoved it into the crack of the closed door, letting Ichi know of his plans. Turning from the medical wing near the servants quarters, he headed down the large staircase to the basement and knocked on the heavy steel door.

"Yes?" came the muted reply.

"Totty, I want to make sure everything is up to your standard," Osomatsu barged in and started to put on his jacket, looking over at the various computer screens that displayed a plethora of information.

"The grid had a bit of clutter, but I sent Jyushi to take care of it. It was near the plaza."

"Good. Keep an eye out for any and everything. I'm heading out for business and then heading to the plaza to record the remainder of (y/n)'s rehearsal performance," Osomatsu reached out and took a video recorder from Todomatsu's desk, quickly checking the memory card to see if it was empty.

"Keep in radio contact when you're done with your 'business'. I don't have a good feeling after that dinner," Todomatsu sat down in his chair, turning to look at the screens.

"Food poisoning?"

"No, dumbass. The other bad gut feeling," The youngest brother gave Oso an emotionless stare before turning back to his screens, "I'll keep an eye out, but remember that I'm going to be split between three parties: Jyushi, (y/n), and you. My reaction time is going to be off by a little bit."

"I know you'll do your best. Focus on (y/n) after the scheduled intermission, I'll be there until then," Osomatsu patted the youngest on the head and left the basement, grabbing his private car keys on the way out the side door.