Chapter 19

The kitchen became silent, as if the room itself was holding its breath in anticipation. I continued to look at Jyushimatsu after his comment, but I couldn't place what emotion he had in his eyes. With my brothers remaining silent, I cleared my plate and quietly excused myself from their presence, wandering the darkened hallways until I came to a familiar, well-worn door made of walnut wood. I ran my fingers over the custom carvings in the door, following the curve of a beautiful blooming flower until one of the leaves met the doorknob. I pushed down the brass lever and the momentum opened the door inward, revealing the old sound-proof walls of my music room. I entered slowly and fought back the sudden burning sensation in my eyes, not wanting to cry anymore.

The old music stand was put away in the corner of the room, unused but still dusted. The folding chairs I used when I had an audience were leaning against the wall by the stand, leaving the room empty for whatever use it needed to provide. The ten-by-twelve-foot room was barely a comfort right now, but I needed something to distract myself -- to keep from spiraling down a path of dark thoughts.

What if Todomatsu died because of me? What if I never get to leave the Kanemochi mansion anymore? Would this be my last taste of freedom?

What happened to Todomatsu?

I shook my head and took a deep breath, smelling the old wood. I couldn't help but raise my hands into position and began to play one of the pieces from the concert I had missed, the notes echoing in my head as I fingered them out on my air violin, imagining being on stage and performing as a soloist with an amazing orchestra playing along with me. The song quickened in pace and I closed my eyes, taken back to when I heard this encore piece while in the audience only hours ago with Atsushi's tight grip.

The phantom sensation of his hand was still on my thigh, starting to squeeze harder the more I tried to ignore it, and Atsushi turned from watching the orchestra to glaring at me, his eyes filled with hatred.

"You will always be mine, no matter the cost," The voice from Atsushi's mouth was deeper and much darker than his actual voice, startling me into opening my eyes and stumbling back a bit as the phantom feeling released itself from my thigh.

The song stopped in my head and I leaned against the door, flinching as I remembered the look of extreme satisfaction on Atsushi's face as I was pinned down to his bed, pleading for him to stop. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I slid down to the floor, my face in my hands. The fear for my brother's safety crashed against me like a cold wave, sending unwanted images of Todomatsu being beaten and bloodied at Atsushi's hands into my head.

I squeezed my eyes shut and cried into my bathrobe, knowing that my fear was getting to me and that Todomatsu would be fine.

----

I didn't know what time it was when I woke up, but I was still on the floor in my music room. I felt a warmth in my left hand above my head before I felt a gentle squeeze, and I looked up at my left hand to see someone holding it. I saw the green-colored sleeve and recognized who it was before looking up to see his face.

"Good morning, (y/n). You gave us quite a little scare earlier," Choromatsu smiled down from his sitting position, looking completely relaxed despite the worry I saw in his eyes.

"I'm sorry...I feel like I've been messing everything up recently," I stayed where I was, looking away from him and curling up in the bathrobe.

"It's all right, and I understand why. After years of being stuck with us, you've been shoved into a world not really your own and forced to dance in a cage to someone else's tune for the last few months," I felt another small squeeze on my hand, "No one blames you for trying to come back to what used to be normal. In fact, everyone here is encouraging it. It doesn't make my job any easier, but what can you do about five idiots that run around like they own the world?" I heard a small chuckle before a shifting of cloth. Choromatsu's hand didn't move from its position.

"I tried to not be a handful, because I knew how hard you were working to keep everyone safe and happy," I looked back up at him to see him offering some chocolate to me, his signature smile spread wide on his face.

"Don't worry about what I have to do. Osomatsu told you to focus on what you love, so you should do it -- unless you want to get in trouble for disobeying orders," He started to withdraw the chocolate, but I reached out with my right hand and quickly grabbed it.

"No!" The word slipped from my mouth before I realized I had said it out loud, shoving a small bite into my mouth to try and hide my embarrassment, "I...I mean, I don't want to worry you all. You're still my family despite my surname...and did you just bribe me with food?"

"Maybe. I do what I can to make sure I get my way," He stuck his tongue out at me, closing his eyes playfully.

"No wonder you're the shadow leader..." I muttered as I ate another piece.

"What? Did you say something about me being the greatest leader ever and the best big brother you have?" Choromatsu held up his free hand to his left ear.

"Shut up...I didn't say that," I playfully slapped his hand holding mine, a grin wide on my own face. A few moments of silence settled between us before Choromatsu spoke again.

"While you were sleeping, I got an update from Totty's phone," My spine went stiff and I looked up at Choromatsu in expectation, fear creeping back in my mind, "The text read that he was successful, and is coming back home with Kanemochi's signature on the divorce papers."