Chapter 18

I woke up laying on something soft in a dark room, but strangely, I didn't feel any confusion or fear of where I was. I had slept on the same bed for twenty-odd years.

I was back in my family's home.

Rubbing my face deeper into the faint scent of lavender that remained on my pillow, I took a deep breath before sitting up and looking around. The bedroom door was cracked with light streaming in from the hallway, the clock on the bedside table showed that it was nearing 3am. I moved from my bedroom and into the hallway before I realized that I was still dressed in Todomatsu's suit. Grabbing one of my spare hangers in the closet, I put the suit and shirt on it neatly before slipping on the extra large bathrobe that I had forgotten to pack.

Draping the suit over one of my arms, I left my bedroom and walked towards Todomatsu's bedroom that was near the basement tech lab he loved to occupy. After hanging it on the inside of the door, I yawned as I made my way from the basement to the first floor kitchen, hoping to grab a light snack before looking for my brothers. As I walked closer to the kitchen, I heard voices growing a little louder and pressed myself against the wall next to the kitchen door to listen in.

"...such a fuck up," I recognized Choromatsu's voice, "It could've gone so much smoother than it actually did."

"You heard (y/n). He forced our hand tonight, and that's all it was," Osomatsu paused a moment before I smelled cigarette smoke, "We're not the best at impromptu reactions. If we were, we'd be in a lot less trouble."

"I still think we acted rashly," Karamatsu chimed in, "Especially when Akumatsu showed up. We should've let (y/n) go back home with Atsushi, and just tried to smooth things over before they got too severe on her side. We've done it before."

"Yeah, sure. Let her go and suffer the consequences of our actions? I don't think so. Our little sis has been through enough shit, and I'll be damned if something happens to her that I could've stopped."

"Osomatsu, think rationally. At what point do you stop protecting her and start smothering (y/n)? She's a grown woman!" A few chairs protested against the floor as there were sounds of a small scuffle, a few grunts before there was only gasping coming from the kitchen.

"I'm not smothering her! I know damn well that she's a grown woman, we can all see that! She's still our little sister regardless if she's a Kanemochi or Matsuno, and I made a promise to her -- to all of us," Osomatsu growled as another chair moved, "She stays out of the family business and gets to live how she wants. This fucking joke of a marriage was forced, and we all know it!"

"Oso--" Ichimatsu started.

"I have spent weeks trying to find a peaceful way to bring her back home. Atsushi sent assassins and hitmen instead of lawyers and judges. He is nothing but scum, and has made it very clear to each and every one of us that he's on top of the world, with (y/n) behind lock and key," Osomatsu became quiet before I saw a shadow in the doorway. I looked up to see Osomatsu leaning against the doorway with his left forearm high above his head, a lit cigarette between his lips curled in their signature smirk, "But we wanna hear what you've been through in your own words, (y/n)."

He reached out to me with his right hand, and I took it with embarrassment written all over my face. As I was escorted into the kitchen, I saw five of my brothers sitting at the informal dining table, all dressed down for the evening. Karamatsu had a reddening bruise on the edge of his jawline, near his mouth. I guessed that the scuffle was indeed the older two fighting, and I moved to the chair Osomatsu motioned towards. Without the masquerade masks, I could see their faces and realized that they all had scars in some form on their faces or necks.

"What...what happened to all of you?"

"Your husband," Osomatsu's answer was gruff, "You overheard me, but we didn't really want to tell you. We became a thorn in his side, and he tried to pull us out. Let's just say: it didn't work."