Whole And Present

Arthit's POV

Sitting beside Kongpop as the nurse tends his cuts, I take inventory of his and N'Wad's injuries. Prem is right N'Wad is in better shape than the last time he was attacked. I am assuming we arrived before too much damage could be done. I place my head in my hands as I try not to think about what could have happened if we hadn't. I start when I feel a hand stroking my hair and look up to find Kongpop pulling his hand away. I smile at him. I reach out and put my hand on his knee, squeezing it. He places his hand over mine, and for once, I don't pull away. I need the connection to reassure me he is whole and present.

Knott, Bright, Tutah, and our professor walk into the infirmary. He looks at our two nongs assessing their injuries, his face darkening.

"Do you know who did this?" Professor Thorat turns to Knott and asks.

"It was dark, and they had run away by the time we got close," Knott explains. "We chased after them, but they lost us."

"So you don't know if they attend school here or not." Professor Thorat frowns.

I am looking at Knott. Out of all of us, he does not like to lie. I know this must be hard for him. We don't understand why N'Wad is being attacked, and with the reaction, we got from those nongs we talked to, we don't think telling is a good idea yet. We need to know what they are or who they are being threatened by before we tell.

Just then, a winded N'Tew runs into the infirmary. He looks from his friends to us to the professor before he gives a wai.

"Umm," N'Tew goes to scratch his head but stops, "Sorry, Ai'Kong told me he was here. Since he is not alone... I guess I will go." I notice Kong frown at that.

"Stop," barks Professor Thorat. "I don't want these nongs going to their dorms unaccompanied. Since we have already had an attack."

"I will take N'Tew to his dorm," Knott puts in quickly. We all turn to look at him. I can see Tutah smiling at him. Knott must have realized something was off because he adds, "N'Tew asked me to help him with calculus."

"Ok, N'Tew," Professor Thorat directs, "you will go with N'Knott. Who will take N'Kongpop and N'Wad."

I don't care if I get grief from my friends as I pipe up, "I will take N'Kongpop to his dorm. His dorm is adjacent to mine."

"I will take N'Wad," Prem puts in.

"Ok, that is solved," the professor says, "I will ask around and see if this has happened in other faculties or not." He looks at us, "I will give you a week to finish tonight's lab. You guys might drive me crazy, but you always do the right thing when it comes to being good seniors." He pats Knott's shoulder as he leaves.

"Ai'Arthit. Ai'Prem. Here are your backpacks," Bright hands them to us as he continues, "I thought Professor Thorat would blow a gasket when we came back in the lab, but when we told him why he just ordered us to follow him. I am glad it was to here and not the faculty office."

We all laugh at this. This day started so nicely. I remember that kiss with Kong. But the ending leaves a lot to be desired. Realizing that Kongpop has been covering my hand that is still on his knee, I look at my friends to see if they had noticed before I slowly remove mine and put it in my pocket.

"They can go now," the nurse informs us. "Take something for pain when you get to your dorm."

We all give her a wai as N'Wad and Kongpop stand up from the beds. I grab Kongpop's backpack and throw it over my shoulder.

"We are going to get going," I tell my friends. "Ai'Prem and Ai'Knott message me when you have reached their dorms and yours, so I don't have to worry."