"You Should Listen to Me More."

Chapter 10

        I've now been at the park with Jess for a good two hours and we've been talking about Donovan and I inform her a little about Max. I feel like a little schoolgirl with the silliest, most pathetic crush on two guys at once and is talking about who I want -- as if I have a chance with either of them. Jess throws her head back on the merry-go-round as we're spinning, "Donovan's going to be so pissed off at you. Did you tell him you were coming straight back?!" She giggles in pure amusement. 

        I laugh, "Yeah!" 

        "Try two fucking hours later!" She hollers and we burst into harsh laughter. My heartbeat suddenly pounds uncomfortably as a loud voice calls my name. Me and Jess freeze and stare at each other even though the merry-go-round is spinning. I think she knows what I'm thinking too, cause she swings her legs off the edge and stops us, "Okay, he sounds livid, but it's okay. We're starting training now. You show me how much you can stand up to him before you crumble underneath him. Just act natural." She says quickly and I nod, then look over as someone shouts loudly. 

        "SHE'S OVER HERE, DON!" The voice sounds like Zach's and I smile faintly as he rushes over, "Zara, where have you been? You ran off, said you'd be back and then disappear for two hours. We've been looking for you for a good hour and a half. Don's pissed." He mutters and I open my mouth to speak, but then the other guys; including Donovan, comes walking over. Oh shit. 

        He strides up to me slowly, "Zaria, what the fuck is your problem? You just had to be an emotional brat for absolutely no goddamn reason and run off without any hint as to where you were going. I don't have your fucking cellphone number, so I had to search nearly this whole damn neighborhood, only to find you ten minutes away at a goddamn park with--" He stops as he looks over my shoulder and then a happy smile takes over his face. 

        "Well hello, Jess. How are you?" He asks and Jess giggles before getting up and hugging him tightly. I almost want to feel jealous, but then have to keep in mind that they are cousins and that's gross of me to even think. But the way his arms are wrapped securely around her tiny waist makes me wish it was me. 

        Jess pulls away and comes back over to the merry-go-round by me, "I'm good. I met Zara here and we kind of just hit it off." She says calmly and he nods with a small smile, that instantly vanishes as he looks back to me. 

        "Lets go. In my car, now Zaria." He growls and I scowl. Okay, time to act natural for Jess so she can see where me and Donovan stand with one another. I don't feel like going home and I want to hang with Jess more. 

        "No." I simply say and then watch as he and his friends stop walking towards the car. He turns around and looks at me with confusion in his unnerving blue eyes. I open my mouth, "You didn't know where I was, you know where I am now, but I'm not ready to come home. I'm hanging with a friend. How about you just go back home and eat dinner already with your girlfriend and friends... I'm gonna stay here for a little bit longer." I breathe and then regret it.

        His eyes narrow, "First of all, we put dinner in the oven on warm because we're not eating until around eight and it's scraping at seven right now. Secondly, my girlfriend left; so I don't know what you're trying to get at there and thirdly, my friends came to help me find a little whiny, prude ass brat who ran off like a dumb white bitch from a cliche horror movie. Now, if Jess wants to come over; fine -- but you're coming back home now whether you like it or not." He seethes and my throat starts to burn really badly. Oh fucking hell, I'm going to cry. 

        "Zaria..." He trials off sternly and I turn around, away from him and lock eyes with Jess. She makes a face with very wide eyes and she now knows that I barely stand a chance with him. He hurts my feelings way too much and to me he's just heartless and unable to crack. Jess grips my shoulders and pulls me into a side hug.