"Let Me Be Strong for You."

Chapter 16

I wake up startled with heavy breathing. My hands fly to my face as I smooth my sweaty hair off of it and breathe deeply. Of course I'm dreaming about the same shit and person I can't stop dreaming about.

Groaning in annoyance, I turn my head and glare as a deep chuckle echoes from the other side of my room, "You were doing it again. Quieter this time, though." Donovan says cockily.

I speak through my hands over my mouth, "Get out! I'm gonna start sleeping with my door locked."

"Aw, but where's the fun in that?" He teases and I sit up, squinting to see him in my dim room, leaning against my dresser. It comes to his chest so it's very easy for him to use it as support. I now realize that I went back to sleep since the last time he was in here, because he's changed and his hair isn't in a mohawk, it's sexily ruffled.

I suck in a soft breath, "Why aren't you dressed to go anywhere?" I ask, removing my hands from my mouth and running them through my sweaty hair.

He shrugs, "Cause I have nowhere to go. I don't want to see any of my friends right now because I will probably find my way over to Jack's place and kick his ass again. Zaria, do you want to report what he did? I don't even know why I'm asking you this, I'm going to do it." He says and starts to dig into the pockets of his basketball shorts. He summons his phone and for some reason I panic.

Just thinking of all of the publicity I'll probably get...

I jump up really fast; ignoring the pain I still feel between my legs, then latch onto his forearm, "Please don't, Donovan. I don't want my mother to know. She'll take it to heart and somehow blame herself for not being here and I just won't be able to deal with all of the legal shit. The jail time he'll get, the questioning I'll get and then the hatred people will feel towards me. Please, just keep it between you, me and those two." I beg, almost on the verge of tears.

He furrows his eyebrows down at me, obviously not liking my want to be silent about it, but then he sees my emotions and actually softens up. He places his phone on top of my dresser, then grabs my head in his hands tightly, "Alright, but you have to promise me you'll stop fucking crying about it. Cause every time I see your eyes get watery, I want to do something about it. Understand?" He asks with authority and I melt as his hands are burning into my skin.

"I understand." I whisper and he nods while darting his eyes all over my face. He runs his hands through my hair slowly and smooths it back, "Good... you need to go and take a shower. You're sweaty and they only gave you a sponge bath last night." He says and I blush brightly.

He seems to read my thoughts, "I wasn't in the room for that part, but I did look down there when I took you out of the party. You remember that?" He asks and I nod slowly.

God I wish I didn't.

I blush hotly and he smirks, "Don't look so embarrassed, I've seen it before last night too... remember?" He raises a brow and I groan in utter embarrassment. When he yanked me out of the shower, thinking that my covered cast was a towel rack of some sort.

"Yeah, yeah. I fucking remember." I snap and peel his hands from the side of my face. He chuckles and I smile as I'm still holding his hands. I look down at them and it makes my stomach flutter to see our hands together, touching. This is something I would be dreaming about, not real life.

But I feel myself coming back to the girl I was before Layne got in the picture and snatched out my backbone.

I look up again to see Donovan watching me. He's analyzing what I'm thinking about doing right now.