Chapter 4

I've been here a week and I'm bored. Literally bored. I've filled my schedule with running 2-3 hours a day, a few hours at the senior home each day, watching soap operas for another few, and have attended one meeting for the development and planning committee which was a total joke.

My sister's kids started school this past week so she's been busy with her kids and class schedule. We've had dinner a few times at her place, but every time I come over to hangout the kids are already in bed. Who says dinner can't be at 8 o'clock?

It's Friday night and I know my sister is at her local high school football game to offer support. The kids are at babysitter. And I'm here.

Why didn't I just go to London? Hell, I'll stay here one more week then I'll tell her I'm leaving.

The clock shows 9 so I decide to get up and go to JoJo's. I slide on another pair of designer jeans, a wraparound black shirt, and my favorite black high heeled boots. It's simple and casual but the shirt definitely hugs my curves.

I pull into the same gravel parking lot. Maybe a hand full of cars are there considering everyone is at the Varsity football game. I walk straight through until I'm back in the corner pool table that I played at last week. I order my vodka and cranberry and start getting lost in the game. The live music starts playing and I certainly don't mind it because they're pretty good. I'm drowning myself with a drink, music, and pool when I'm yanked back to reality by a familiar voice.

"Hey, H-"

I look up and see Peyton walking up to me. Yet, again this guy disturbs my focus.

"Hey, Peyton. What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at your game?"

He looks a little confused "H, the game ended an hour ago."

I grab my phone and see that I've been here two hours already. "Oh, well how did it go?"

"Great" he smiles. "We won. The boys did great. I guess our 3-a-day practices during camp paid off."

He leans against the pool table "Any chance I can play?"

"Peyton, there's several other tables open" I firmly state.

"H, I mean play with you!" he laughs.

"Oh...I don't think that would be fair."

"H, I'll go easy on you."

"I-"I start but end in a smile. "Okay, want to make it interesting?"

His eyes light up and I again find myself staring at him. He's in jeans and a black button up shirt with its sleeves rolled up.

"Okay, if I win...You have to have a drink with me after the game and we actually have to have a conversation. What do you want?"

I'm taken back as his request. "Okay...If I win, I get $100." I've played for $1000 with clients before but he doesn't seem like the type to carry multiple C notes in his wallet.

He reaches across the table and we shake hands. He breaks first and sinks 2 shots in. BANG, BANG, BANG I get 3 in a row. This is going to be so easy I think.

"You play pool all the time, don't you" he questions.

A huge smile spreads across my face "Just all the time."

He gets up from his stool "Okay, H...I'm going to have to let my competitive side come out."

A laugh escapes from my mouth "Seriously, why would you even hold back?"

"I'm trying to figure you?" he smirks.

My hand tightens around my stick. No one ever figures me out. No one ever has except Matt and Jake a few times based on the situation.