Chapter 6

I haven't talked to or seen Peyton in over a week. I know it's a school week for him so between school, practice, and the kids I know he's really busy. I tried to keep busy myself with volunteer work, playing with Auden and Emery, and running. I even went to a few of Emery's dance classes.

She was explosive when she told me that she and her little friends would be performing at the JV football game half time. I couldn't help but laugh. Life of a 7 year old is fascinating. I decided to stay another week and get through Labor Day holiday. So I'm already passing my deadline of two weeks.

Hilary and I arrive at the game with the kids. When half time goes off and Emery is absolutely adorable in her green and white dance uniform with her little friends. Not too many people in the crowds for the JV game, but when it's finally over and our team has won, smaller crowds start moving into the stands for the Varsity game. Hilary and kids decide to stay for the game, so I go along.

I run back to my car to grab something when I see Peyton's SUV pull up frantically. To my knowledge the Varsity games starts in 45 minutes. I see him pulling at his hair while talking on the phone. And yes, of course he looks hot in his coach polo and black slacks. He looks incredibly annoyed so I make my way over to him as he ends the call.

"You okay?" I ask.

"What? Oh, Hey H- No, my kid's babysitter called out sick and my parents are gone. And I can't find someone to watch them..."

I interrupt him. "I can watch them."

"Seriously, you're offering?" he looks at me questionably.

"Yeah, I figure I owe you after last week. I'll take them to your place and you can drive my rental car back after the game. It seem fair."

He looks at his kids in the car then back at me.

"Peyton, I promise to protect your babies with all my heart." Crossing my heart with my finger.

He laughs. "Okay, my house is clean and the kids don't need to shower. Dinner can be anything in freezer like chicken nuggets or pizza. Bedtime is at 8pm."

"Okay grandpa!"

I pull my jacket and bag from the car and hand him my keys. And climb into his SUV.

Crew immediately laughs "Are you going to let me eat cake before dinner?"

Peyton gives me a look that could kill.

I smirk at Peyton "Maybe buddy. Daddy is pretty strict."

He doesn't hesitant and I don't pull away which surprises us both when he kisses my forehead and closes the door. Chloe is passed out in the back with animal crackers all over her pink dress. I laugh at the scene that I'm about to walk into.

A few minutes later we arrive at their house. Peyton lives in a two story red brick house. It's super cute and I notice the grass is perfectly cut. There's a large oak tree in the front that has a swing on it.

Crew unbuckles himself and I unbuckle Chloe and carry her up to the front door. Crew opens the door for me and we walk in. The house is simple and clean. A large living room is to my left with a door to his office on the right. The staircase starts in front foyer and leads upstairs. The hallway has a small half bathroom and opens up into a large kitchen with dining room and table.

Chloe finally stirs awake as I lay her down on the couch. She shoots opens her eyes and takes a moment to recognize who I am without a second thought she squeals "brave?" How could I refuse that cute girl?

That night goes on smoothly which I'm grateful for, considering it's my first time babysitting kids alone. Luckily, I'm an expert on frozen pizza and movies. The kids chow down on their pizza and juice. Then we settle down to watch Frozen because its Chloe's favorite.