7. Fakin' It

Making my way through school I went into the lady lockers to take a shower. After getting out and putting on some fresh clothes I put my bag in my locker. I planned on making it to the shelter before night fall, so I might have to skip a class. It's pretty far by walking and I didn't want to waste any money by riding the bus.

Sitting down in my chair I sighed. Things weren't looking up for me. It just seems to be getting worst. That manager from Neiman Marcus hasn't called me yet. It's hella stressful for me and I don't know what to do.

Putting my head down i sighed again, dramatically too.

"Ms Imora is there a problem" I heard my teacher say.

Looking up I tried to look as tired as I felt, "uhmm yea I don't feel too good."

He gave me a look, y'all know that look teachers give you to see if you bullshitin'.

"Alright go ahead."

"Thank you sir" I got up and went to the nurse.

Turning the corner I ran right into Cameron.

"Shit! My bad" I say almost automatically.

Looking up I see him.

"Yea, yo bad" he said with a smirk.

Rolling my eyes, I started to walk past him. But he grabbed my arm.

"What you running away for? You was so bold last week. What happened now" he said grabbing tighter.

Scrunching my face I gave him a dirty look, " nigga I don't give a damn what you talking about. Let me go!" I say trying to pull away. He was really getting me mad now. I didn't have time for his petty ass.

"You wasn't saying that when I had my dick in your mouth."

"Cause you bribed me! Over a bag of damn chips"

"Yea cause your poor ass was about to steal some damn chips" he said laughing. "You so damn pathetic, you or ya mama ain't shit"

"Like I said, I don't give a damn about what you or anybody else think! That was one time! One! You don't do nothing but sit on your ass and use your parents money!" I say getting closer. "You call yourself to be so damn better than everybody but we out hea working for ours, not sitting on my ass waiting for my next go head!" I say snatching my hand away.

"You the pathetic one, with your childish ass" I said looking at him in the face. If he thought he was gone taunt me and get away with it than he thought wrong.

I smirked while looking at him, I know I hit a nerve and it felt damn good!

"Aye cuz wha-" I looked over to see

Brenton?

"Aye Lei what's up" he said coming to hug me.

"Hi Brenton" I say with a smile but not a welcoming one.

"Damn Cam why you looking like you bout to slap a bitch" Brenton says, not knowing what just happened.

"It's nun nigga. How you know the poor girl?" He asked throwing his head my way.

"What? Poor?" Brenton stated, looking confused.

Laughing Cameron crossed his arms, "yea nigga, remember the bitch I was tellin you about that I caught stealin'? And she sucked me up? This her right hea"

Brenton looked at me confusingly while stratching his neck. "Daamn"

I turned to walk away. I knew this would happen. I had just a lil bit of hope that he didn't believe Cameron but he did. I could tell by the look in his eyes.

"Aye Lei wait!" I heard Brenton yell.

I finally stopped just to hear what he had to say.

"Why you walked away so fast"

"Tell me it ain't true man. I know you didn't do it willingly." He pleaded.

I knew this look. He was hoping it wasn't true but it was.

"What do you want me to say Brenton? Your fucking cousin bribed me! So I did what I had to do."

"Lei-"

"No, it's okay Brenton. I'm fucked up. I'm poor. I'm that girl. But sometimes a person has to do things to survive. It's who I am. It's what I know." And with that I turned to walk away. I didn't want to here those words everyone thinks I need to hear. I don't want the help. I want to be able to help myself.

***********************************************

It's been a couple weeks and I'm finally working. Unfortunately the commute to the shelter is too much so my living environment will be under the bridge for now.

I honestly love working at Neiman, just like I thought I would. Although, I still get the snobbish customers.

"Miss, can we get some help" I turn around and I'm honestly surprised.

Brenton. He looks so nice! I put on my smile and assist him.

"What can I help you with" I ask with a smile. Brenton is a handsome guy, I'm not at all surprised that he has a girl on his arm.

"Yea, do you have this size in a 5?" She asks.

"Yes, I actually just saw some gorgeous shoes that would look so great with that dress. Oh yeah and a blazer. Do you like blazers?"

She laughed. "I can try it and see, I'm pretty sure I won't but what's the harm?" I could tell she was definitely with the bs. But I have a great eye for things like this. Just wait.

"Oh my gosh! This looks great! You were so right!" She says smiling at me.

"Can't go wrong with a blazer. I'm glad you like it."

"Baby don't I look gorgeous!" She says turning around towards him.

He eyes me then smiles at her. "Yea baby you look great. Thanks Leilyani"

I just smile.

"Well I'm very happy to assist you, would you like this whole outfit to go?" I asked with an open eye. I could really use a bonus.

She turned to him, "baby PLEASEE"

Sighing he said "go ahead"

I nodded and she went to the dressing room.

"Lei can we talk"

Looking up at Brenton I simply just mumbled a "not at work my place"

"Then when Lei? I've been worried about you! I heard you haven't even been to school!" He says

"You don't even know me!" I whispered. " besides, I take college classes online. I graduated early" And that was the truth. I had more than enough credits and college credits so I decided to graduate early. I do my work at a library.

"Lei why won't you let me get to know you?"

"Because, I'm not worth knowing" I say looking him in the eyes.

I didn't want to drag anyone in my life just to have them walk out.

Especially Brenton, because no matter how much I said I didn't like him like that, I did. I liked him alot. Him walking away from me would make me even sadder.

I didn't want to fall even deeper than I already had.