Chapter 9

I turned my head around to check behind us, just in case Greg had somehow figured out a way to escape, but I knew in my head that he was probably dead. 

"I'm sorry that happened." Said Jack, "Greg was a good guy. It's a shame that he had to go the way he did." 

"I feel like we could have done more to help him, or anything." I said. 

A couple hours of driving passed by, we were almost at the kitchen now. It was dark outside, probably about 9 pm at night. Jack and I were tired from all the driving and chaos so we decided to sleep in the kitchen. 

"Here," Jack said, handing me a cushion from one of the seats in the dining room and the fire blanket off of the wall. "use this as a pillow and blanket." 

"What about you?" I asked him. 

"I haven't slept in 4 years." said Jack. "once you learn that you don't have to sleep, the universe is at your disposal." 

"That's not how it works," I said, "Your body actually needs sleep to survive, it's a medical thing." 

"Not my body." said Jack. "My body my choice. MY BODY MY CHOICE."

I went to sleep easily after the difficult day we had had. I woke up in the morning and immediately noticed that half the kitchen was missing and couldn't find Jack. 

"JACK!" I called out. There was no answer. "JACK!" I cried out even louder. I started to panic, what if something happened? Where could he be? 

Even without Jack I needed to continue the mission of finding a cure. I started to look around for any schnitzel that was in the kitchen. I couldn't find any, I think we used it all when we tried to blow everything up. I needed Jack, I wasn't capable of finding anything anymore. I began to look around for him. It began to rain lightly, so I went back inside the kitchen and grabbed a curtain to cover myself as I looked. I was walking around for a while, not finding anything, when suddenly I heard a loud bang from the direction of the kitchen. I ran into the kitchen and saw my sister on the ground with some plates and pans knocked over on the ground next to her. 

"Jill?" I said.

She didn't respond. She didn't look like she was in good shape at all, her clothes were all torn, her hair was a mess, and she was out cold on the ground. I put her on a chair and started to fill up a bucket of water to throw on her to wake her up. I counted down in my head before I doused her with the water, 3, 2, 1- 

"AGHAH!" she screamed right before I threw the water. Unfortunately she screamed as I was throwing it, so she got water all up her nose and in her mouth. "aoghgghoh" She coughed all the water out onto the ground. 

"What the hell!" she said. 

"I needed to wake you up." I said. "Uncle Jack is missing, he was here yesterday with me, but now I can't find him anywhere. What happened to you?" 

"Well basically," she said, "everything went crazy right after we lost you. Everyone's eyes began to go red and people were killing for schnitzel. Dad was the worst. He was like a machine, killing innocent cashiers to steal the schnitzel behind the counter everywhere he went. It was terrible, I barely made it out of there alive. I've been living in the woods for a few days now, I saw this building and decided to go to it because there could be supplies."