iii. ( beverly's house )

MISSING!

THE LOSERS CLUB decided to drop melissa off at beverly's apartment complex before parting ways for the day. she was on the back of stanley's bike this time, learning his name on the way there.

she still hadn't known who the other two boys were. beverly earlier mentioned ben's name whilst running over to the two so the missing girl had easily picked the name up.

the group approached the building, spotting beverly at the bottom. she wore a wide smile and happy eyes. as the brunette got off of the uris boy's bike she decided to thank him.

"thanks stanley. or, as your friends call you, stan." the curly-haired boy sent a smile her way in response. "you can call me stan. you're my friend too, melissa."

melissa hesitated to hug him. she was grateful for his friendship, and hugging is usually what friends do. right?

richie was the first to ride off. seems he was quick to get out of there. stanley waved again and left, the rest of the losers club following after.

the discolored eyed girl turned around to be met with beverly. she smiled and followed after the girl who took the lead.

the warm, summer air disappeared after the two walked into the apartment. the redhead turned the light on, finding her dad nowhere to be seen.

this relieved her as she walked throughout the wooded flooring, melissa close behind on her trail.

"melissa, right?" the blue-eyed ginger asked as they both arrived to her bedroom. she nodded, confirming the information.

"well, i guess i'll have to call you mel and you can just call me bev." she offered. by now, melissa had figured that these people really liked nicknames.

melissa liked the sound of hers. maybe it was just the way it rolled off of the tongue, or maybe even how it was apart of the progress to the girls newly-found friendship.

beverly slipped her shoes off, setting them close to the wall beside the door. mel quickly reciprocated her actions. her shoes were visibly dirty, previously white but now soaked with sewer water and covered in dirt.

"so... how did you meet the boys?" bev began a conversation. she sat on her bed, patting the spot next to her for the small girl to sit. she took a seat next to her before answering.

"the sewers. i think they were searching for something but i'm not quite sure for what. they took ben and i to get us cleaned up."

the redhead nodded in comprehension. it took her a moment to process it all as the girl stopped mid-sentence.

she didn't want to say something she would regret. "well how did you end up in the sewers?"

"i got lost," she informed. the guilt was just building up inside of her. she wasn't sure how longer she could lie to her like that.

"oh, okay. i'll go get you some clothes, wait in the bathroom. it's right down the hall." beverly directed.

bev headed toward her dresser as melissa stood herself up. the cold feeling overpowered her body at first touch.

it didn't really bother the girl though since she was already used to it being cold. mel was very numb because of how long she was trapped inside of the freezing sewers.

she exited the room, leaving beverly by herself while she picked out an outfit. the hallway lights were dim as the girl slowly walked through them.

the bathroom door was ajar and the lights already on. her pace only quickened once she heard the door open. she hurriedly stepped into the bathroom, letting her bare feet adjust to the tiles.

she closed the door as quietly as she could, not wanting to bring any unwanted attention to herself. only a small crack was left to separate the door from the frame.

she was sure that bev had already told her dad about her visiting, but she didn't know if she told him about her "condition." she couldn't lie to someone else again. especially not to his face.

footsteps could be heard throughout the hallway. a deep voice trailed after it, the voice presumably being recognized as her dad.

the way he spoke to beverly and even looked at her both confused and scared melissa. it gave her a weird feeling, the whole thing seeming a bit off.

goosebumps formed on the girls skin as he started to touch the blue-eyed girls hair. "we have a guest... you know."

"the one with the eye condition. she's in the bathroom." beverly spoke, hesitating to look the man in his eyes. he nodded, remembering. "i know. you've already told me."

"i only said it just in case you forgot," her tone gave mel instant worry. her father gave the child one last look before turning the other way, going into the living room.

beverly opened the bathroom door, her eyes meeting melissa's uncolored ones. the girl who stood before her swung her arms around the freckled girl. the hug lasted for a couple of seconds before the two pulled away.

"are you okay?" she asks in a small voice. beverly nodded, turning toward the sink. she searched for a pair of scissors and looked into the mirror, staring at her hair.

instead of looking into the mirror like bev did, melissa eyed the sharp pair of scissors, different scenarios racing through her.

beverly cut it all off. every last part of what he touched. it surprised mel but she kind of expected it. she would've cut it if she was her too.

beverly smiled at her appearance, taking a liking to it. melissa saw the smile on her face, copying it.

the now short-haired girl's eyes wander over to her friend. bev looked at her through the mirror, her smile dropping.

she saw mel hanging, her body limp. her head was hung back as a rope was tightly tied around her neck, the life seeming to he drained out of her.

she had scratches, marks, and bruises scattered all around her body. there seemed to be words engraved into her calling the girl cruel names and making fun of her.

it revealed how she was treated. there was blood rolling down her face, escaping from the corner of her eyes. they were there to subsitute tears.

"what?" melissa questions.

"nothing," beverly cleared her throat and turned around, putting on a comforting smile. "here, get dressed."