Chapter 16

*"And I could fight, but what's the use?"
---------------------------------------------------------

Depression is like a cul-de-sac. It has no end. We go by in our lives thinking about a better future. We hope. But no amount of religion, faith, prayer works in the darkness. When we are consumed by it, it is swallowing us, it is choking us. We want to breathe. We are taking deep breaths. But the air is gone. We are drowning. Drowning in the black hole. We fight in the beginning but now there's no energy left. There's no will to fight, left. All that is left is deep darkness and no light around. Not even a blink. It's all black.

All the curtains drawn. All the doors closed. Main door closed. Bedroom door closed, windows closed. Lights off. Berry does not know what time it is. She does not care. She does not want to get up.

It has been two days since her father's funeral. Three days since she left her job.

She does not know what to do now. Her life has no purpose left. She don't need to work to pays her father's bills. She does not have anything to do. The tears have left her long ago. But the moment she thinks she has dried up for good, they start welling up and flowing through her cheeks again. Berry was sick of wet pillows now.

Her father's death had made her realise that whatever she touches turns into ash. As if she is a disease. Her mother, her father and also Victor. That sickening disease is crawling under her skin waiting for her to get vulnerable. And the moment she does, it strikes. And the people she cares for leaves, die or just change.

She want to go out to give her another chance, to give life another chance. But where would she go? She doesn't want to roam the streets. She doesn't have the energy. Her bedroom is her haven. She will sleep. Sleep peacefully. She is very tired. No amount of sleep is relaxing her exhaustion. So she will sleep. Just sleep and forget the world. The world doesn't hold her interest. No one would care if she is gone. No one would know if she is gone.

And that pains her the most. That no one would cry if she is gone. But she will be gone.

#*#*#*

The constant ringing of bell woke her up. She ignored it first. But the person on the other side was very persistent. It was annoying Berry so much that she wanted to scream at the person.

Turning on the lights, it irritated her eyes at first but then her eyes adjusted. She went to open the door while running her hands through her hair to manage it somehow.

The ringing stopped. She thought that whoever was there had left. So she went back into the bedroom.

But she had just entered her bedroom when she heard loud thud of knocking on her door. And it was a continuous knock. She finally came out to give that person a piece of her mind.

She opened the door to start yelling when she saw Susan at the door. She was in her office clothes that means she had come straight from the office.

"Susan, what are you doing here?", She asked confused at her presence.

"I came to meet you", she looked angry although her voice was soft.

"Oh", Berry exclaimed.

"Oh? Oh, is all you can say? What the hell Berry! You quit the job, you switched off your phone. And you didn't care to tell me a single thing? What the hell is the matter with you?", she said raising her voice. She came inside her home and kept her purse on the coffee table and looked around the house and then to Berry.

Berry who was still standing at the door was slightly pushed aside as Susan closed her door. Then she turned around and crossed her arms.

"What is this Berry? Why does your home look like a dungeon? And why are you in your pajamas? Its six in the evening."

"Susan I was not feeling well that's why"

"Bullshit. You are fine. You were sick five days ago", she looked at Berry and her expression soften by looking at her state. She glanced at the swollen eyes, unkempt hairs. Berry painted a sad picture

She took hold of Berry's hand. "What happened Berry? I know something has happened. First I thought that you were sick that's why you prolonged your sick leave. But I tried to call you and your phone was switched off. And today I found out that you quit three day ago. Berry what is the matter? Tell me. Is this something about you and Victor? Did you guys had a break up?"

Maybe because she was seeing a person first time after two days. Or maybe she found that someone could still care about her. That someone could leave their daily life to check up on her to see if she is fine or not. Whatever the reason, Berry started crying. The dam that was filling up is finally broken. And she was glad that she has someone with her.

Susan took her in her arms and hugged her tightly. "Oh Berry, why didn't you tell me? I hate to think that it took me three days to find out about you. I'm such a bad friend".

Susan did not know that she couldn't be more wrong. She was the best person. But above all, she was Berry's best friend. She could not imagine how grateful Berry was at her presence there. That Berry was silently thanking God for that.

After Berry was done with her crying Susan made her sit down.

"Tell me. What happened between you and Victor? This is all because of the breakup right?"

Berry shook her head, "I did broke up with Victor. But Susan, my father died".

Susan's expression changed. Like she finally understood the gravity of the situation, "Oh. I'm so sorry Berry. I'm really sorry".

Berry did not wanted to hide anything from Susan anymore. She bared her heart. She told Susan all about herself, her life, her parents. Everything. And like a patient friend, she listened.

It was very relieving. To talk to someone about it. Berry have a habit of hiding everything about herself from everyone. She keeps on taking in, enduring in silence. But today, she feels that she finally found a true friend with whom she can talk.

In the form of a friend, Berry was able to see the light.

#*#*#*

She went down to see off Susan when she found Mr. Brooks. Mr. Brooks was in the HR department of her office.

"Hello Miss Bloom"

"Mr. Brooks, what are you doing here?"

"I came here to give you this", He gave her an envelope, "I could have sent you a mail. But you weren't replying. So I had to personally make this trip", he looked annoyed saying this. As if he didn't wanted to make this trip but had no options.

"What is this? And I don't work for the company any more".

"This document states that you are under a contract with Wild Constructions. And the contract does not expire for one more year. So legally you cannot quit. And if you do then you will have to pay a hefty compensation. You can also face a lawsuit".

"What?", Berry was shocked. She was aware of this but she didn't think that the company would make an issue.

"But Mr. Brooks, I gave my resignation to Mr. Wild. I'm not sure if he is even aware of this contract. But I don't think he would want me there anymore".

"That's quite unlikely. Because he himself called me into his office and made me aware of this. He had asked me to come here personally to notify you. And also tell you that you are supposed to come to the office at your usual position from Monday".

"He told you that?"

Berry was confused and angry at Victor. What does he wants from her? Why can't he leave her alone? He behaves as if he wants to see her get tortured every day.

Well if seeing her suffer is the only thing he wants. Then he is going to be disappointed.

#*#*#*
I know the chapter is short but I wanted it to end like this. Maybe I'll give you a bonus chapter some time this week.

*The above lines are from the song 'Back To You' by Selena Gomez.

Do vote, comment and share my dear readers.

With love and appreciation,
Sibi