Chapter One

There was a knock at Edward's door. "Yes?" he asked, closing his book.

"Are you ready to go? Molly will be here in a minute," his foster parent said.

"Why can't you come?" Edward asked curiously. "It's not full moon, so you're not exhausted; you're not busy today; and Mrs. Weasley has seven kids, four of which are going to Hogwarts, too."

Remus Lupin chuckled. "She offered to take you, and I owe her for all these years."

"I'm not saying we can't go with her. I'm saying you could come, too."

"Ah." There was a pause. "I suppose. I have very little money, so I couldn't buy anything."

"I'm asking you to come," Edward said dryly, "because you're my foster father, and I care about you. I want your company, not your money."

"You sound like Lily," said Remus, sounding slightly wistful.

"A combination of my mother and you," Edward said, repeating one of Remus' frequent sayings.

"All right, I'll come," Remus chuckled. "Do you have your key?"

Edward opened the top drawer of his small dresser, reached under his shirts, and pulled out a small metal key. "Yes."

"All right. And no, we're not bringing Shadow."

Chuckling, and not bothering to ask how Remus had known, Edward picked up the black cat that was lounging on his floor and put him on the small twin bed. The cat mewed crossly.

"We'll be back soon, Shad." Edward rubbed his pet's head, then turned and left the room.

------------

"Ed!" Ron grinned, grabbing his hand. "Where's Shadow?"

"Home," Edward replied, smirking. "Remus wouldn't let me take him." He glanced over at his foster parent, who was talking pleasantly with Molly Weasley, Ron's mother. "I'm glad we're having our first year together."

"Yeah, me too," Ron replied. "I won't have to deal with Fred and George's jokes alone." He rolled his eyes at the twins, who were whispering to each other, obviously plotting something. "I know we've already talked about what houses we want-"

"You want to know what houses we'll get," Edward guessed.

Ron rolled his eyes at him. "How'd you get so smart?"

"Well, I'm being raised by an incredibly intelligent wizard and witch," Edward replied calmly, raising his voice just slightly.

Molly flushed, and Remus gave him a dry look.

Ron snorted. "What house do you think I'll get?"

"Griffindor," Edward said at once. "You're brave -- when it doesn't have to do with spiders -- and good."

"I think you'll get Ravenclaw," Ron said. "You're smarter than Lupin." He paused. "But also cunning, and brave, and loyal. It's going to be really hard to sort you."

"All right, enough chatting!" Mrs. Weasley said, causing everyone to look over. "We have lots to buy, and very little time."

"I'll take Edward and Ronald," Remus offered.

"And Fred," Edward interjected. "It will take less time if the twins are split up."

"He's not Fred, I am!" said George with an indignant look on his face. But the red-haired boy was hiding a smirk, and Edward could clearly see the mole on his neck -- one that Fred did not have.

"Really, I thought you were George." Edward turned to Molly as the twins gaped at him. "Is that all right with you, Mrs. Weasley?" he asked politely. "Splitting up the twins?"