Chapter Eleven

Onyx, Malfoy, and Edward arrived at the dormitory at the same time. Onyx went straight to bed, looking exhausted, but Edward got the sense that Malfoy wanted to talk to him, judging by the awkward glances at him and then his feet.

Edward sat down on the couch and looked at Malfoy with a tired but expectant expression.

Malfoy blinked. "How did you know I..." He stopped.

"It was a bit obvious," Edward said in a quiet voice. "What is it?"

There was a long pause.

"You saved me, in the forest," Malfoy said, looking down at his feet. "You stopped me from going into the clearing, and told me to go quietly when that -- that thing came in." He shuddered. "Why?"

"Because it was the right thing to do, for one thing," Edward replied, studying him curiously. "For another, I'll never be so mad at you that I want you dead."

"Oh." Malfoy stared at him. "Well. Thanks, Potter."

Edward smiled a bit when he realized Malfoy was being sincere.

--------------

Exams finally came, and Edward was pretty sure he was the only one of his friends that wasn't nervous. This was because he already knew all of the answers of the written exams, and the practical exams he passed easily, and well enough that all his teachers were impressed. In Charms, he made a pineapple twirl and leap elegantly across his desk, making Flitwick squeal and then flush. McGonagall gave him one hundred points when he transfigured his mouse into a very elegant emerald snuffbox with small turtles dotted around it. His Forgetfulness Potion was "Excellent," according to Snape, and he was given more points than he needed.

Edward put down his quill with exhaustion, having just finished the History of Magic exam. Next year, he thought, he would just ask Professor Binns if they could do small skits of certain parts of history.

"That sounds way more interesting than that exam," Onyx grumbled as they relaxed by the lake after dinner. "Maybe we could get extra points if the play was good."

Harry winced and rubbed his forehead.

"You all right, Harry?" Edward asked, frowning.

"My scar's been hurting since you had detention," Harry answered.

"And he's been having nightmares," Ron added.

"Ron!" Hermione said sharply.

"That's odd." Edward looked out thoughtfully across the lake. "Curse scars don't normally hurt...." He stood. "I think I'll ask Professor Dumbledore about the skits idea." And Harry's scar. "Want to come, Onyx?"

"I don't want to think about exams until next year," his friend replied, lying down and putting his arms over his face. Ruby smirked. "Good luck."

"All right," Edward said amusedly. "See you."

As he was walking back into the castle, he was met by Topaz. "Hey," the Ravenclaw smiled. "Where are you going?"

"I had an idea for next year's History of Magic exam that is much more interesting than what we just did," Edward responded. He lowered his voice. "And I want to ask Professor Dumbledore about Harry's scar. It's been hurting since our detention."

"I'll come with you," Topaz offered, looking faintly alarmed.

"I don't know where Professor Dumbledore's office is," Edward said, leading his Ravenclaw friend into the school, "so we should find McGonagall first."

"She's in the teacher's study," said Topaz, "I saw her walking in there on my way to the grounds."

When they reached the study, the door was ajar. Edward knocked on the door, and Professor McGonagall looked up. She looked exhausted but faintly relieved.