Epilogue

Voldemort was furious with himself. He should have found out who the woman was. Now-

He shook himself. What was done was done. His plan would still work.

He found Nagini where he had left her; curled up in a hollow in the middle of Albania's forest.

Hello, Nagini, he said. I have good news.

I have found the boy.

------------

The rat was worried.

The red-haired boy was so intelligent. He'd found out many things at the school. What if he found out its secret?

He shook himself. That couldn't happen. He was so busy with schoolwork, and he barely saw him anyway, since he was in a different House.

But he would have to be more careful.

-------------

Dumbledore paced his office, frowning. He was sure that Voldemort knew the identity of Edward Potter now, which meant that the boy was in danger. If the Dark Lord managed to turn him, the world would be in danger.

There was a knock on the door. "Enter," Dumbledore said, without looking up. He noticed that the portraits behind him pretended to be asleep at once, and he stifled a chuckle.

Severus Snape swept into the room, closing the door behind him. "You summoned me, Headmaster?"

"What have you found out about the boy?" Dumbledore asked, stopping and looking up at the Potions master.

"He's very clever and intelligent," said Snape, and his eyes glittered with pride and admiration. "He is also caring and fierce."

"Do you think we can trust him?"

"He seems to have incredible loyalty to his friends," Snape answered, frowning at Dumbledore. "And to the rules, unless someone is in danger."

"Yes," Dumbledore mused. "Well, we should still keep an eye on him. Next year, he should continue helping you."

"Of course, but only because he's nearly at fourth-year level," said Snape. "I trust him."

"I am not surprised." Dumbledore turned to look out the window. "He could become the most powerful but good wizard in Britain... or he could destroy us all."