Chapter Four

On Monday morning, a notice was put up in the Slytherin common room: Flying lessons would be starting on Wednesday, and they were sharing it with the Griffindors.

"Great," Harry grumbled at breakfast. Edward and Onyx had frequently sat at the Griffindor table instead of the Slytherin table, because no one wanted to be near a Black. "Just what I always wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy."

"You won't make a fool of yourself," Edward sighed. "It's in your blood. Our father was the greatest Quidditch seeker in his time."

"What!" his brother yelped, as Onyx spat milk onto his plate in surprise. "And you didn't think to tell me this??"

"I forgot you grew up with our ignorant aunt and uncle," Edward replied, still calm. "And I know you'll be great on a broom because I am terrible."

Harry relaxed a little.

"Well, if you could fly," said Ron to Edward, "you'd make a great Keeper."

Ruby snorted awake, pulling her face out of her cereal. "What're we talking about?" she mumbled, wiping milk off her face.

"Flying lessons," Onyx told her.

The girl let out a squeal, awake at once, and everyone looked around with confusion.

Edward was about to ask why Ruby was so excited about flying when the arrival of the owls distracted him.

Soot landed in front of Edward, and he beamed, taking the letter from his beak.

"Lupin again?" Ron guessed.

"Yes," said Edward, opening the letter. Clearly there was a question inside, because Soot didn't fly back to the flock of owls leaving.

There was a sudden cry of delight, and he looked around to see Neville holding up a glass ball the size of a large marble.

"It's a Remembrall!" Neville exclaimed, and Edward made a noise of interest. "This tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red -- oh..." He looked crestfallen and confused, because the ball had suddenly glowed scarlet, "...you've forgotten something..."

Edward turned back to the letter from Remus and was about to read it when he heard a low growl from Harry. He looked up to see Malfoy approaching with Crabbe and Goyle behind him.

"What's this?" Malfoy asked with a grin, snatching the ball out of Neville's hands.

Harry, Ron, Onyx, and Ruby leaped to their feet, looking furious. Edward just calmly put his letter next to his plate.

"Draco," Edward said smoothly, and the boy jumped, "I suggest you give Neville his Remembrall back. I don't think you're dumb enough to cause trouble in front of teachers... are you?"

Malfoy narrowed his eyes, and his two freinds looked angry and frightened at the same time. Finally he dropped the ball on the table and said, "Just looking." They left quickly.

Edward picked up his letter again as his four friends slowly sat down.

"What does Remus say?" Ron asked.

"He's invited us all to stay for Christmas break," Edward said with a smile. Harry had let him borrow Hedwig so he could tell Remus about his new friends.

"Awesome!" Onyx beamed, and Ruby grinned.

"So you're coming?"

"Yeah!"

—————————

Edward, Harry, Ron, Onyx, and Ruby arrived at the same time as the other Gryffindors. By now, they'd taken in the two Slytherins as one of their own (because Edward was a Potter, and they were sorry that Onyx wasn't accepted by his own House) which was fine with Edward. Some of the Slytherins could be annoying brats.