Chapter Eight

Edward was glad when Harry didn't go looking for the Mirror of Erised again, because he'd been having nightmares every night for the rest of break of people running from him and screaming. He didn't hate himself like he had the first time he looked in the Mirror, but he felt sick every time he woke from the terrible dreams.

When Hermione and Ruby returned from break and heard about their adventures, they had different reactions: Ruby had been indignant that she hadn't gotten her turn looking in the Mirror, and Hermione had been horrified that they'd been out of bed.

When they told Hermione and Ruby about what Edward had discovered about Flamel -- they'd forgotten to send them a letter, what with the chess tournament and the Mirror -- Hermione let out a shriek.

"I've got to go to the library!" she exclaimed, and rushed off. Topaz darted after her.

"Again?" Ron snorted.

"The library is a disease," Ruby agreed, and stood. "Come on, Harry, we've got Quidditch practice in ten minutes."

The Quidditch season had started again, which meant two things: Wood was working Harry and Ruby harder than ever, determined to get back in the lead, and the Slytherin team was getting more and more competative.

The first dinner after break, Marcus Flint marched up to the friends -- Hermione and Topaz missing, probably having returned to the library -- looking irritated. They stopped talking when he approached.

"You, Black," Flint barked at Onyx. Edward frowned at him. "Pucey says you're a good flyer. We need a Beater."

Onyx stared at him. "What? Why?"

"Nott quit the team," Flint growled. "He needs a replacement, or the other teams will flatten us."

"Good," said Ruby with a smirk.

"No, I don't mean -- why do you want me?" Onyx spluttered. Edward was wondering that, too.

"Because you're a darn good Beater! Pucey says he saw you playing with these three and the Weasley twins!" He pointed at Harry, Ron and Ruby. "So, are you in, Black?"

"Yes!" Onyx squealed. "When's practice?"

"In an hour," Flint snapped. "Hurry up and eat." Then he marched back to the Slytherin table.

"Yes! I get to beat my brother!" Ruby grinned.

"Excuse me," Onyx smirked at her, his eyes sparkling, "I think I'll be the one doing the beating!"

Harry grinned. "Ten galleons that Gryffindor wins the Quidditch Cup."

"I'll take that bet!" Onyx replied, making Edward mock groan and Ron laugh.

But when Onyx returned to the Gryffindor common room after practice, covered in mud, he looked worried.

"What is it?" Harry demanded, and Ron looked up from his chess game with Ruby.

"Snape's referreeing the Hufflepuff-Gryffindor match!" Onyx said anxiously.

"What!" Fred yelped.

"He's not going to be fair at all," Angelina frowned.

"Who told you?" Edward asked Onyx, over the loud, complaining conversations.

"Flint did," his friend replied nervously, sitting down on the floor next to Harry, who had been doing an essay for Flitwick. "The rest of our team looked delighted, but-"

"-but Snape -- Professor Snape," Ruby added at Edward's frown, "is completely evil, and hates Gryffindor. And he also might be stealing whatever Fluffy's guarding." She looked wistful as she mentioned the dog's name.