•T H I R T Y - O N E•

Romain's Study was identical to the Council Room; the same patterns, the same velvet-like walls, the same emerald theme.

And much like the Council Room, this office had a gloomy atmosphere that chilled Prudence to the core. Violent vines had wrapped up her legs and glued her to her cushioned yet uncomfortable armchair, forcing to watch as her brother paced behind the desk that separated them.

His grunts made her shudder, and each of his heavy strides sent important documents flying off the table. When he flared his nostrils, she recoiled, praying to become invisible.

When he'd found her talking to her stomach, the night before, Romain had barely given her two seconds to justify herself before slamming her bedroom door and thundering off. An hour later, his physician had barged in to conduct a check-up on her; a check-up that ended with him confirming that Prudence, Princess of Giroma, was indeed pregnant.

Today, she'd found a note under her door, summoning her to Romain's Study as soon as possible. While she dressed—as demurely as she could muster—she begged the heavens that he would not be too harsh, that he would absolve her for her lies.

It hadn't surprised her much to find Pauline in the room when she arrived, seated in front of Romain's desk; but the other presence destabilized her into wanting to jolt around and return to bed.

Cornelius was there, a snarky sneer forming on his face as he stuffed his hands into the pockets of his auburn frock coat and glowered at her. He strode back and forth behind Prudence and Pauline, his strides thunderous, likely causing earthquakes. The King did the same, and their stomping was almost in sync, their groans in unison, their features so similar they appeared as brothers.

Pauline said nothing, from time to time glimpsing her son as her lips parted. She refused to look at her daughter, and tipped sideways to avoid touching her.

Do they all think I am poisonous?

Romain suddenly pounded a fist on the desk, the veins in his hands throbbing, turning blue under his porcelain skin. "You lied to me." Even Cornelius quit his paces at the King's tortured voice trembling with anger. "You broke our fragile, newfound trust. You should have told me this from the start."

Prudence gulped and glanced at the fabric of her bland brown gown. No words came to her; no excuses, no reasons for him to absolve her. She did lie. She did pretend her tryst with Antoine had been a plot. Her King was right to be furious with her.

"Romain, I—" she winced, "—Your Majesty, I have explanations, but you will not like them. You despise him—"

"—as we all should! King Antoine of Totresia is a disgusting pig who holds your virtue in his hands and has murder in his blood!" Romain hunched over the desk, panting, palms pressed so hard onto the surface it creaked, as if about to break. "You omitted to inform me you laid with him, out of wedlock! And not once, but twice?" Smoke poured from his nose and mouth. He was a rabid bull ready to dash forward and strike her; a hungry wolf ready to attack. "This disappoints me more than you will ever know."