•F O R T Y - F I V E•

The sharp edges of the crumpled parchment stabbed the space between her breasts, nestled in her olive green bodice. The note's contents crinkled as she paced back and forth in the Little Reading Room—luckily empty—debating whether to reveal the letter's implications to her brother. The planning of Philippe's death, Pauline's involvement, and possibly the worst news—that Antoine was coming.

How would he travel? Solitary, with a guard or two? Or sneak in with Julia's proceeding, if she and her family had accepted Romain's proposal? When would he leave Totresia? Surely he would come across border patrols, French garrisons, and sly Giromians setting out to hunt him; was he prepared for that?

"Do I have time to send a messenger ahead to stop him? Or," she tapped a finger to her chin, "would it be better to warn Romain and beg him to be lenient?"

She hadn't heard of Miss Espinar's response, nor if Antoine had consented to give her to Romain. She believed Romain would have mentioned the news, to celebrate his upcoming engagement.

Her mind warped into fearing that her brother had no clue what was going on most of the time.

The door opened, and one of the guards peeked into the room. "Your Highness," he said, as Prudence pivoted to him. "His Majesty awaits you in his Study. It is urgent."

With a wince, Prudence grabbed the corners of her gown and crept down the halls that separated her from her brother's emerald-hued office.

Of course he had a clue. Romain might have appeared naïve at times, but he was a King. He had spies and emissaries and soldiers at the border, men bracing for clandestine entries and fickle foreigners seeking to slip into the country. Antoine would be no exception.

She sulked as she found the office door open, and grimaced when she found Romain and Cornelius arguing inside. Their voices were raised higher than she'd ever heard them, and she didn't dare make her presence known—yet

"It is a band of Totresians, I guarantee it!" Cornelius' hair was unleashed, and his black lapels flapped as he stomped back and forth before his King.

Prudence detected other nobles in the area—some loitered near Romain, some stood by the table off to the right.

Romain was on his office throne, elbows on his desk as he massaged his temples. His beige coat sleeves covered his wrists, but Prudence noticed his white knuckles and the tremble of his fingers.

A few of the men spotted Prudence, and immediately dipped into bows, expressing quick greetings as she meandered farther inside.

Romain looked up, scanned her face, then motioned at a vacant seat in front of him. "Prudence. Join us."

Cornelius didn't bother to say a word, but spared her a brief glance, his marblesque eyes alight with fire.

She curtsied for Romain, but as she was about to sit, he waved her over to stand by him, instead.