•F I F T Y - N I N E•

As she rounded the corner to her brother's office, Prudence slowed her steps. The smoke had lifted, and there was little debris leading to the Study door—a door she discovered was open.

She tiptoed to the threshold and paused, finding Antoine inside, hunched over the desk, his back to her. He'd opened the curtains, and early morning light basked him in an aura of gold.

Such an odd sight—her former lover, hated by her brother, now perusing through said brother's documents.

As she lingered in the doorway, she heard Antoine whispering to himself, reading something set up on the desk. Every whisper sent chills down her spine, reminiscent of all the secrets they'd shared in their good days together.

Unconsciously, she rested a hand on her belly. The odds had been stacked against them from birth, and so many times they'd defied the universe, the rules, and shared their love anyway. She had confirmation of it in her stomach; but also so much regret.

Would Edouard have relented, eventually, if Gregor hadn't ventured out to show her off? Or would Gregor have kept her engagement with Cornelius? She never would have met Antoine, never would have been in this mess of conflicting feelings, about to banish him from her country, for his safety.

He stood there, regal despite his dirtied suit, his riding boots stained and burnt, the edges of his frock coat frayed. His hair, though always messy, was tamed, for once. She imagined herself running her fingers through the overgrown strands and sniffing in his musk as she stared deep into his hazel eyes.

She frowned, understanding such intimacy might never occur between them again.

They hadn't chosen this. Their fathers, their mothers set up the rigged game and threw the pieces across the board without a care for their future, for what their children would be forced to deal with.

Death. Since it surrounds us.

She wiped a lone tear that drizzled from her right eye. She carried the proof of Antoine's fertility and the potential ruin of her country, but she couldn't do anything about it. As Queen regent of Giroma, she had to stay put. Her people would never accept the King of Totresia as the father of her infant.

Antoine swirled around and his eyebrows raised. He relaxed at the vision of her slouching in the door-frame. "Do you enjoy lurking about like that?" A hint of amusement peppered his tone, though he didn't smile.

She attempted a weak grin. "Apologies." She shook off all the memories that been haunting her, and jutted her chin at the paper he held. "Anything to report to me?"

He scratched the back of his neck. "A lot." He moved aside and gestured at the stack of documents on the desk. With a heavy sigh, he dropped into one of the seats. "Your brother had much going on that he did not share." He waved the paper, beckoning her over.