Chapter V

"We're not socks, but i think we could make a great pair"

~Unknown

I casually took deep breaths, thinking it through once so many times

I casually took deep breaths, thinking it through once so many times. I didn't know what to feel or think, should I be mad? Or should I feel nervous? I could mention a whole list but in my current situation the only thing I'm embracing is a broken soul engulfed and filled with confusion.

I looked between my Grandma and the tall figured man standing besides her. I could tell she was worried as to what I would say, but he held no emotion in his eyes, almost as if there was something I had no clue about. "Dominika, can we take a seat, so I can tell you why he is here." She smiled sadly and halfheartedly. Amalia slowly brushed my back assuring me that things would be alright.

I nodded lightly seeing as its not every day the person who took the life of your loved one would show up so it had to be something understandable.

Once we all sat down there was a brief silence until Grandma Candace spoke. "This is Colton Rodriguez, he's the man who was in the car that killed your mum."

"I get that nana, just get to the point." I snapped coldly. I didn't want this, I didn't want to spend any more nights in my room crying myself to sleep.

"I know you miss her, I do too." Mr. Rodriguez finally spoke looking hurt. Both Amalia and I shot him confused looks.

"How would you know? You were the one that took her life!" I exclaimed, "you didn't know anything about her!"

"Let him explain why he is here Dominka, don't just jump into conclusions already. Colton is a good man and had no intentions of hurting your mother!" She yelled with teary eyes. I knew it hurt her more than it actually did for me, knowing her own child died.

"Your mother was a very good friend and colleague of mine." He said smiling at his own words. "She was an excellent inventor and one day built a machine that could access any code in the world. A certain company working above our organization took interest in her work and promoted her into its system. She gladly took the offer as it was a big step for her career." He sighed running his hands through his black wavy hair.

"But then two weeks later I happened to get the information that her machine was going to be used for wrong things abusing its purpose. I immediately let Gracious (My moms name) know about it, and she decided to move to strylsville and stay on radar until they drop the idea and forget about it. When they found out Gracious knew about their plans, they sent a group of men to find her and take what was rightfully hers then kill her, so they could take all the credit for her work." I gasped at the thought of how cruel people could be to attempt an unknown murder on an innocent person.