Chapter VII

"Lost in darkness, you're my focus love me hopeless"

~Sabrina Carpenter.
(On Purpose)

* * *

Dominika's POV

I've learned that avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Because the fearful are caught as often as the bold.

"Dominika." Amalia called again snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Did he do anything to you?" She asked again with concern in her voice.

"No, I sped off before he saw me." I said, letting out a long breath I didn't know I was holding.

"I wonder what Xavier was doing in this part of town, didn't we leave everyone back in strysville?"

"I wouldn't know, I'm just glad he never saw me."

Xavier Houston was one of my biggest bullies back at my old school. What terrified me the most was his vigorously bad reputation and harsh attitude, he caused me both physical and emotional pain. I had been called names and treated badly. That was another reason I changed schools, to get away from all the trouble and grief.

"Get some rest Dominika, you had a rough day. Also, it's 4 o'clock in the morning and I need my beautiful sleep." She said with a yawn, causing me to laugh. I just hope I don't see him again.

One week later...

"At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side
But then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong
And I grew strong
And I learned how to get along"

Sitting in the diner with a book in my hands and a plate of fries on my side filling me up, I watch as Kelsey and Natalie sing to I will survive by Gloria Gaynor for tonight's karaoke. With a whole week of school and my nose constantly being under books, they decided to spoil me to dinner. I'm pampered to go sing along too but as usual I repudiate.

But with the rushing adrenaline within me, it gets even more exciting with the cheering crowd, the catchy rhythm that I feel the need to step out the shell and enjoy my day out. I giggled as Kelsey dramatically moves her body to the beat and taps her foot aimlessly, and the way they each tried to make the same moves.