Meeting Alice

The next few weeks were chaos and some of the most stressful weeks of my life.

I had to undergo multiple background checks and fill out probably close to a hundred forms in order to gain full legal custody, including forms to change her last name from Snow to Stark. Then in preparation, I hired some people to put a nursery together. Rhodey also went with me to buy everything else and help block off most of the mansion. But after a long process, I finally get to meet Alice.

I patiently waited near the front door for Alice and her aunt to get here while Rhodey was in the nursery finishing up the preparations. He was also planning on staying with me for a week or so to help get Alice settled in.

When the doorbell rang, I opened the door a little too fast and startled the woman who was standing there. I quickly apologized and invited her in. She hauled the baby carrier in along with a bag of baby stuff, and set it all on the floor before turning to me.

"Hi! I'm Vanessa." She smiled, out of breath. She offered me her hand and I shook it.

"Hey Vanessa, It's nice to meet you." I replied, trying to subtly glance behind her and catch a peek at the baby.

Vanessa looked a lot like her sister. She had the same brown hair, except Vanessa's hair was stick straight and fell to her hips. And unlike her sisters blue eyes, Vanessa's were dark brown. She seemed like a pretty happy individual, but she also seemed sad.

"You said you're from Oregon, right?" I asked, trying to make small talk.

"Yeah, I'm headed back tonight too." She replied. This time she caught me trying to sneak a peek at the baby. "Oh! Let me get her real quick."

I waited patiently while Vanessa pulled the baby out of her car carrier. She was much smaller than I was expecting, and Vanessa had her dressed in a pink onesie with a white bow on her head. To my surprise, I nearly cried.

Without hesitation Vanessa gave me the baby, and I very quickly realized I had no idea how to hold her. I seemed to figure it out pretty quick, and my heart melted to feel her small body in my arms. I didn't know it was possible to love someone so quick. Tears started to form in my eyes and then I noticed that Vanessa was starting to cry as well.

"I'll take good care of her, I promise."

Vanessa wiped away her tears with her sweater sleeve. "She hasn't eaten in a few hours, there's a bottle in the bag. You'll just have to warm it up, and make sure it isn't too hot."

"Okay, thank you." I replied. "And you're always welcome to visit." Vanessa nodded, but she couldn't seem to respond.

She walked towards me and grabbed Alice's small hand. She held it tightly and kissed the baby on the head. "I love you so much baby girl." She told Alice, sniffling. She was reluctant to let go of her hand. When she did, she turned around immediately. "You have my number, call if you have questions." She told me with a smile.

"Thank you." I told her. Then without another word, she walked out the door.

I glanced back down at the small infant in my arms. She was watching me carefully with her big blue berry eyes. I had to wipe away a few tears.

"I thought she'd never leave!" Rhodey suddenly yelled from over the balcony, then raced down the stairs. He immediately put his hands out for her and I passed her carefully. "Come to Uncle Rhodey!" He said, smiling at her. He bounced her gently. "She looks like you."

I smiled, gently putting my hand on the baby's back. "She looks like her mother."

.

.

.

The first few hours were pretty easy. I bought a bottle warmer so I didn't have to worry about it being the wrong temperature, and it wasn't too difficult changing her diaper when the time came. The first major mistake we made is that neither of us knew how to burp a baby, so she spit up all over Rhodey not long after eating.

Aside from meeting her needs, I just held her for hours while I sat on the couch. It got dark fast, but I didn't realize how late it had gotten.

"Tony, she needs to go to bed. It's 11pm." Rhodey told me as he came up the stairs. He was in his pajamas and had just gotten out of the shower. I was so grateful he decided to stay and help for a few days.

"Right." I said nervously. She'd been asleep on my chest for over an hour now and I was nervous to move her.

Rhodey helped support her as I carefully got up. She stayed in the same position my chest, all scrunched up. I walked her carefully up to the nursery we put in the room next to mine and Rhodey followed close behind.

I very carefully took her clothes off to change her one last time, then as I was putting her pajamas on, she woke up and immediately began crying.

"No, shhhhh, it's okay!" I told her, and quickly finished getting her in her pajamas before picking her up again. I laid her back on my chest but she wasn't calming down.

"You just startled her, try rocking her." Rhodey suggested from the doorway.

"Does that actually work?" I asked. I'd only ever seen that in movies. He nodded his head, and I carefully walked over to the chair and began to slowly rock her. She screamed for at least 10 minutes, and then gradually began to calm down.

"It's just you and me baby girl, I promise you I'll always protect you." I kissed her on the forehead as she drifted off to sleep.