Mind Games

I never thought I would actually be excited about returning to school.

When I returned home, my dad decided it would be best if I stayed home for at least a week to recover. I didn't really want to, but I'm glad that I had that opportunity to readjust before returning to my normal life.

Since we couldn't exactly tell people that I have powers and was kidnapped by Hydra to be used as a weapon, Pepper stepped in and saved our butts. She came up with the idea to tell the police that I was kidnapped by a gang since I'm Tony Stark's daughter, and I would be worth a lot. Since that's what we told the police for the legal reports, we decided to stick to that story for my teachers as well.

When my teachers and administrators were informed of what supposedly happened, I received multiple emails from teachers who took pity on me and told me to not worry about my grades. However, there were still a select few who went out of their way to remind me that I needed to get my grades back up, and that "there's no excuse to miss learning opportunities."

Since most of my classes are honors or AP, I knew right away that the first few weeks back to school were really going to suck.

But even though I had my grades haunting me, I was just ready to see my friends again.

Happy drove me to school the first day back like he usually does, but this time my dad tagged along. I suppose he's still paranoid something will happen to me, and I don't blame him. Or perhaps it's to catch up on missed time together, though we barely talked. Instead, the entire drive I could barely sit still and whenever traffic stopped us I considered jumping out and running to school.

When we finally reached my school, I had to refrain from diving out of the car to go find Sarah and Peter.

"Bye hun, have a good day at school! Let me know if you need anything at all." My dad told me enthusiastically, though part of him sounded disappointed to be saying goodbye.

I leaned in towards my dad and gave him a hug, and he kissed me on the cheek. "Love you!" He managed to say just before I grabbed my bag and jumped out of the car.

"Love you too, and thanks Happy!" I quickly said before closing the car door.

I didn't look back as I half ran to the entrance, ignoring all the stares in my direction.

I suppose word got out.

Once I reached the school, I figured I should retain some part of my dignity and walked normally from that point. I was beyond excited to see Sarah, and I knew I would see her today regardless. Peter however, I was nervous about. We talked almost non stop since I returned home, but this was the first time I'd be seeing him since we kissed in my bedroom.

Knowing I would need a few text books for my classes today, I went to my locker first. I tried my best to ignore the stares in my direction, but by the time I reached my locker I was pretty uncomfortable.

I'd almost forgotten my locker combination which triggered some slight panic. Thankfully though I managed to get it open, and once my textbooks were in my backpack, I closed my locker. Right as my locker slammed shut however, someone came crashing into me. I dropped my backpack, and I nearly fell against the impacted.

"Don't EVER scare us like that again!" Sarah yelled despite her mouth being right next to my ear. She held me so tight that it was starting to become difficult to breath. My face was buried in her curly hair, a feeling I didn't realize how much I missed.

Once I regained my balance, I looked past Sarah and realized that Peter was right behind her, smiling like an idiot. Thankfully, Sarah's hair also hid my face as I blushed.