Friends and Foes

Malibu Mansion was destroyed nearly 2 years ago, and we've been in New York ever since. A lot has changed since then. I can't say I love living in such a busy city, but I've loved getting to know so many new people!

Steve and Natasha both live nearby, so I see them frequently. Bruce is here every day helping my dad with new projects. Pepper and Happy both moved with us to Avengers Tower in New York, though they both travel back to California frequently to continue running Stark Industries. I've loved living closer to Sarah as well! We're still 30 minutes apart, but it's a lot better than living on opposite sides of the country.

About a year ago I began running in the mornings with Steve. I had no running background so it was extremely difficult, and I couldn't keep up for more than a couple of minutes. I ended up joining track and cross country in school which has helped me a lot. My starting time for one mile was around 12 minutes. Now, I'm down to 6.

Around the same time that I started running with Steve, I started to watch Natasha train. She did various workouts, and most of them were pretty normal workouts you'd see in a gym. Except she was a lot faster, stronger and more flexible than your average gym rat. Then one day, Natasha offered to train me. My dad wasn't for it, but Nat managed to convince him when she told him I'd have no problem keeping annoying boys away.

She made me do some sort of conditioning camp to help my strength and flexibility. At times, I felt like I was being yelled at by a drill sergeant. What surprised me the most is when she began teaching me ballet. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be, and when I started doing point my feet were constantly bruised along with the occasional sprained ankle. Then after every lesson, she would take me to get lunch or dinner depending on the time of day.

Things in my life were really seeming to look up, then Ultron came along.

Ultron was a peacekeeping program designed by Bruce and my dad to create armor for the world. It immediately backfired. Ultron took off and recruited a 16 year old girl who could control and manipulate energy at will, and her twin brother who could run faster than sound.

Everyone was especially careful to keep me away from the fight. So when it was all over and the 16 year old weapon of mass destruction moved in to Avengers Tower, I was beyond confused. At the same time, a synthezoid named Vision moved in as well. His body was made of vibranium that Ultron meant to be for himself, and his conscience was JARVIS.

Around that same time I made a habit of locking myself in my room to avoid the newcomers that made me extremely uncomfortable. It worked for a little while, until I learned the hard way that Vision can just walk through walls.

That was the first real conversation I had with Vision, and the first time I truly saw him as a friend and not a stranger or a potential threat.

I learned that day that Wanda and her brother survived a terrorist attack who was using stollen Stark Industries weapons. They were trapped for 2 days, waiting for a bomb in their living room to take their lives. It never went off, and they both escaped. They were desperate to avenge their parents and their home country, and joined Hydra who gave them their powers.

I felt really bad for Wanda, I truly did. But something about learning she joined Hydra and became what she is all with the intent of revenge on my father, who played no part at all in the terrorist attack that changed their lives, just didn't sit well with me.

To avoid any uncomfortable confrontations with her, I chose to just avoid her all together.

Natasha and I were in the training center. It was massive with lots of equipment, and somewhere far behind us was Steve training by himself. Today, we were working specifically on hand to hand combat. Sweat beat down my face while Natasha looked fine. I was completely focused until a door squeaked open somewhere to my left. Against my better instincts I looked over my shoulder, and found Wanda sanding shyly in the door tugging at her sweater sleeve.