The Final Battle (Part 1)

-Tony's pov-

I stood just outside the facility in the cool air. The sun had completely disappeared beyond the horizon, and billions of stars lit up the night sky. But the only lights I could focus on, were the ones blinking in the distance. Gradually, the blinking lights got closer until the stolen aircraft landed in the open field about 100 feet in front of me.

Pepper stood to my left wrapped in a robe. She held the edges close together with shaking hands from the cold. Her big belly was partially noticeable under the thick robe. 

I remained frozen in my place as I watched the aircraft land, my fists clenched at my side. Several familiar figures walked out and were greeted by Vision, Wanda, and even Bruce. They were too far away to see clearly, but by the laughter and bear hugs I knew they were happy to see each other again despite everything we went through last summer.

"Tony, go talk to him." Pepper nudged. "They would have been here for her if they could have."

I continued to watch them carefully as if they were going to attack. My heart skipped a beat when Steve's eyes met mine, his full attention turned to me. He nodded in acknowledgement. I did nothing.

"That's the thing, Pepper." I started, never taking my eyes off of him even when he turned back to his welcome party. "They could have been."

Without another word, I turned on my heel and headed straight towards my lab. It wasn't my idea to call Steve, and I sure as heck didn't think he would actually come. It was entirely Vision's idea, so now he can deal with them.

I felt guilty leaving Pepper by herself in the cold, but the guilt didn't hit me right away. I was so blinded by my anger towards Steve that I didn't even realize it until I was in my lab, surrounded by things I knew I could trust.

I instinctively started working on a helmet that I started a few days ago. I had some major upgrades I was working on, and I quickly got lost in the work.

Nearly an hour went by and I didn't even realize it until I heard a knock at the door. At first I thought it was Pepper, but the heavier footsteps made me realize it wasn't her. So instead, I ignored them and continued working.

"You look awful."

Steve's voice used to be comforting.

"That's not a very nice thing to say." I replied through gritted teeth, trying desparately to ignore the man at the door. "If you're here to apologize, just do it already. I'm busy dealing with an emotional teenager."

"Tony, I did what I had to. You know this. They were trying to take control of how and when we can help people. It wasn't right." Steve replied firmly. I tensed up as he got closer.

As much as I hate to admit it, he's right. I didn't agree with them taking control of how and when we can help people either. But we caused a lot of damage in the process and people got hurt who didn't have to.

Frustrated with both him and myself, I remained silent.

"I do regret leaving Alice."

For the first time since he walked in, I stopped working.

"If we had stayed behind, perhaps we wouldn't even be in this mess in the first place." Steve added.

Pure frustration shot through me out of nowhere and I threw my tool down at the table. Sparks flew on impact, and I flipped myself around to face him.

"My daughter was scared out of her mind for months as she was hunted by Hydra. She trained with people who didn't understand her or her abilities with the hope that she would be even a little bit stronger. But they got her anyways, and people died. And you know what? We don't even know what they did to her because she was so traumatised that she couldn't talk about it."