𝖙𝖜𝖔

JOHN AND DOC HAD BEEN GONE for around 3 hours, and Belle had finally finished all of her housework

JOHN AND DOC HAD BEEN GONE for around 3 hours, and Belle had finally finished all of her housework. Now she was sat at the kitchen table, reading one of her favourite books, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. She believed it was a beautiful love story between Elizabeth and Mr Darcy.

But, unfortunately for Belle, her reading session was cut off by a loud ruckus from the front yard. Belle huffed and slammed her book on the table, and stormed outside to see Chevez and Steve shouting at each other. Belle watched in annoyance from the porch, thinking it was just a petty argument until Chevez reached for his knife. 

Belle's eyes widened and ran off from her post towards the two disputing men. Belle grabbed Chevez's arm, pulling the knife away from Steve. "Chevez! What in God's name do you think you're doing?!"

Chevez ignored her and pulled his arm away from her grasp. 

"You want to play games, pendejo?" Chevez mocked Steve, twirling his knife between his fingers.

"You red-assed Mexican greaser. You do it with your horse! Mexican greaser!" Steve didn't back down, shouting over Belle's protests.

"Come here you little white chicken shit!" Chevez shot back. But before anything drastic could happen, Dick pushed between them with his horse, separating the two hot-headed males. 

"Hey! Hey! Knock it off!" Dick roared over the two's bickering, but they just grew louder. Dick grew anxious at Belle's presence behind Chevez, so outstretched his hand out to her to jump up on to his horse. Belle hopped up behind Dick, clutching at his shoulders while wincing at the argument occurring below her. 

"Enough!" Dick shouted at the Chevez and Steve. "Are you alright, Miss Belle?" Dick asked over his shoulder.

"Yes, thank you, Dick," Belle began to jump down from Dick's horse, but stopped when she heard the familiar clicks and clatters of her father's wagon.

"John's back," Dick announced as he saw John, Josiah and a new face rounding the corner.

"You two! Get washed up and in your supper clothes, now! Get Steve on your way!" Belle ordered as she stared down at the two men. They both nodded but decided to stay behind to see who the new man was. Dick jumped down from his horse, leaving Belle to stay sat on it. 

"Who are them?" Belle heard the man ask her father.

"They, William. 'Who are they?'," John corrected before answering. "They are the boys of the dregs. The flotsam and jetsam of frontier society, if you will."

"What about the girl?" 

"That would be my daughter. The queen of our little society. She keeps us all in check," John replied, causing a grin to spread across Belle's face. Belle watched as Doc jumped from the wagon and jog his way over to the group, slinging his gun over his shoulder.