Chapter 1 : Not The Same

Liam accidentally slams the door as he enters his house. He freezes for a second, expecting his mother to start shouting at him because she always reminds him not to slam the doors. Nothing happens, though and he continues walking to his room. He pauses in front of the kitchen as he hears rumbling and his mother's chirping voice echoing through the room. That's probably the reason she didn't pay attention to him. He sighs and takes the stairs two at a time so he can get to his room faster.

He passes his sister's old room on the way to his and he can't help but stop and peek through the door that's always cracked open because his mom likes to think her girls might still come out of there. Liam misses them, too and he understands.

It's almost empty now, considering Ruth's married and Nicola moved in with her husband-to-be. All of the girly stuff that used to invade the room is gone now, along with them. Now, it's just a normal guest room with no traces of two teenage girls ever spending their childhood in there.

Liam sighs, leaning his head against the doorframe. He would give everything to talk to one of the right now. They may have been a pain in his ass when they were younger, but they always knew what to do when it comes to girlfriend problems and always helped him out.

He shakes his head, finally moving to his room.

He lets this door fall shut quietly behind him, unlike the first time. He leans against them for a minute, trying to compose himself, but it doesn't seem to be working.

He flicks his backpack to his left, not paying attention to where it ends up falling before he flops onto his bed, crumbling the sheets underneath his weight.

It's hot outside, and he practically ran home. He sits up, pulling off his shoes, socks and the plain white T-shirt right away. When he's left in only his gray sweatpants, he lays back on the bed, hands behind his head as he stares at the ceiling.

The sheets beneath him are cold against his warm skin that's glistening with sweat and it protests with the air being colder than on the outside, goosebumps showing up.

He probably needs a shower and a glass of something cold, but he can't move. He's too frustrated to do anything, really.

He's been dating Sophia all through highschool and to be honest, things were going pretty great for the first two and a half years. They were the perfect, clichéd couple. She was a cheerleader and he was the captain of the football team. Everyone seemed to have interest in being a part of their life and since Sophia always liked the attention and popularity and Liam liked her it wasn't something he was going to oppose to.

Liam also liked the feeling of everyone admiring him and what he had managed to achieve when he was younger. He had an amazing girl, so much people around himself, always begging for his attention and he was always happy to give it. He ended up giving so much that he almost ended up with nothing himself.

Over the years, Liam grew up. All of those friends showed up being fake ones, with no respect for anything he believed in, football became more than just a way to prove himself to others and his girlfriend... Well, Sophia ended up being just a big disappointment.

She was just a shallow waste of space, as Louis liked to put it. Liam didn't like hearing it, but Louis' thing was to say everything right into someone's face. That's probably one of the main reasons that Sophia hated him with a passion. The feeling was mutual and Liam would bet his life on it, giving the glares Louis gave every time she was around.

Their relationship was still something he couldn't give up on, though. They were falling apart for the last few months, but she insisted to keep it going and saying that she loved him. Liam was sure he loved her, too, but he was tired of this. Everything became just a habit. Dates, hugs, kisses and even sex. It was just the same old routine where they just wanted it to be over so they could go and do something else.