Chapter 2 : I'll Fight Until I Lose

It's always been quite easy to adapt to the idea of going on a vacation, for Liam. His mom always made sure that they went somewhere both of them would enjoy everything the place had to offer and he loved the idea of leaving this place for a while.

When you're practically forced to spend time in this town and with these people during the school year, you can't wait for summer to get away from all of it for a while. Not this time, though.

This time, his relationship with Sophia is much more delicate than it was for the last couple of years and he thinks there isn't a right way to tell his dramatic girlfriend that he's leaving for such a long time and have it all end up all right.

That's why he's basically slapping himself mentally when her eyes widen in horror and tears start streaming down her face as soon as he breaks the news.

"What? You've..." She's furious, Liam can tell. "You've what?!" Sophia screams.

He went to her place the day after his mom told him. He spent half of it trying to find the best way for all of this to end well, but lost his nerves in the end and just ran to her place and told her once they were alone in her room.

Liam sighs. "Babe, calm down." He reaches for her, but she pushes him away.

"I can't calm down, Liam! You've just told me that you're leaving me for two fucking months and when I need you most and you want me to calm down?!" She says incredulously.

"Soph." Liam tries, but she won't let up.

"What?!" She snaps. "You haven't thought of telling your mom that you care about me? That you want to fight for me? For us."

"I did, but..."

"Well, maybe you just don't care enough, Liam." After those words leave her mouth, she suddenly turns sad and tears forming in her eyes are now from pain and not from rage. "Maybe this is your way of breaking up with me."

Liam storms up to her, cradling her face in his hands. "No. Just." He fits their foreheads together. "I love you, I don't want to leave you." He says with thickness in his voice. "I want to stay here with you, but there's no way in hell my mom's gonna leave me behind. And I don't want to disappoint her."

"But you can disappoint me." She says thickly. When Liam's about to protest, she shakes her head. "It's okay, she's your mom. And I know she doesn't even like me."

Liam shakes his head. "I don't care about what she thinks. I'm the one who's dating you."

He kisses her then, tries to make it better. They pull back after a minute.

"I'm not even close to breaking up with you." He says. "I think this might do us some good, too."

She scoffs. "How?"

Liam shrugs. "Make us stronger as a couple. Make us stable and sure of what we want."

"I want us." She says immediately.

Liam nods. "That's what I want, too." He admits. "Are we gonna do this, then?"

She looks reluctant for a second, but then nods. Liam pulls her into a hug, then. She hugs back just as tight and he can't help but feel that he's doing the right thing.

------------------------------

Greece. His mother and Trisha decided on Greece, out of all places.

"You could have taken me all the way to China, you know?" Zayn had snapped right away and Liam thinks that's the first thing the two of them had agreed on since Zayn was back.