Rights

Chen didn't let Zed wake up naturally this time. He allowed him an hour nap to recover from the doctor visit and then woke him to eat, just porridge, and drink another cup of water. Another hour nap later and he woke to a cheese omelette and more water. Another hour and it was banana toast and water. In this way he managed to empty the pitcher and fill his bowels. A physical therapist came to assess his strength and walked him to the bathroom and back so the catheter came out and Zed discovered the joys of peeing in a sitz bath.

Twenty four hours later Chen was walking him up and down the halls trying to get his bowels to move so he could go home and Zed was pretty sure he'd just met the love of his life in the most embarrassing way possible. Where the hell did this Alpha come from, and why couldn't he have shown up three weeks ago when he was at his most vulnerable. Scratch that. Chen did show up when Zed was at his most vulnerable. He hadn't realized how much worse it could get for an Omega than being caught in public in heat. Alone, pregnant, with his body rejecting the fetus, he'd collapsed and then found himself cradled in this strangers arms, safe for the first time in more years than he cared to remember.

"Chen," he said, so quietly the man wasn't sure he heard.

"Did you need to go back?" Chen asked.

"No, just...thank you." That last bit was so quiet he definitely didn't hear it, but he was watching Zed's face so intently he could read it on the Omega's lips. Those perfectly pink lips, no longer thin and dehydrated but plump and incredibly kissable.

"May I?" he whispered and shy green eyes flashed up to meet his. The nod was barely perceptible but it was enough. Right there in the hospital hallway Chen kissed him. The first kiss Zed had ever given. Those horrible Alphas that raped him couldn't claim that. They'd only taken. He never gave them anything. They didn't count. Chen's kiss was tender and sweet on his lips. The walker he'd been using to stay upright suddenly wasn't enough, but strong arms came around him and held him securely.

A nurse catcalling interrupted them before they embarrassed themselves too much. She was carrying in a massive bouquet of flowers that immediately drew all attention away from the indiscreet couple. She walked it straight by them and into Zed's room. His eyes snapped up to Chen's face, but the man wasn't smiling like he would if he'd been the sender. He actually looked perturbed. They both turned back and followed the flowers without speaking.

"Professor X," Chen read off the card. "You're close to one of your teachers?" But when he looked up Zed was suddenly four shades paler. "I see." He put the card down and went to pull Zed into his arms. The frightened Omega went readily and buried his face in Chen's chest once again. "Any chance you trust me enough to tell me? I know it's been sudden, but I'm here for you now." He stroked Zed's back and waited for him to calm himself again. When it seemed to be taking too long he pressed the call button and asked the nurse to send the flowers to another department. Somewhere Zed wouldn't accidentally see them again, like the sanitation department.

At length, Zed was able to calm himself and he told Chen everything. How could he hold anything back when the Alpha had given him so much love and attention. It wasn't fair to hide this. Chen was very still when he finished. "He called in other Alphas?" Chen asked.

"He took money from them," Zed confirmed.

"Then, neither he nor they were overwhelmed by your pheromones and out of control. They were cognizant enough to make a business of your pain. Will you let me investigate? Will you allow me to defend you, as your Mate? The police were wrong to dismiss you. And this professor will do it again if we don't take him down. You know that, right? He's taunting you with those flowers. But he doesn't know you have me by your side. I can see how hard this was for you. I don't want you to have to confront him yourself. If you allow me, I can do it for you. A Mate has that right."

"Are you a lawyer?" Zed asked. Chen sounded like one.

"No, a business man, but my brother is, and I'm confident he could do a shitload of damage to the bastards that hurt you."

Zed looked hard at Chen's face. Chen was serious...and angry. Angry on his behalf. Zed couldn't believe it. "You'd...tell your family about me?"

Of course he would. It'd be pretty awkward on holidays if he didn't tell them about his Mate and child. The bigger issue was why the little Omega thought he wouldn't want to. The recent trauma was clearly only the last straw on an overloaded camel's back. How much misfortune had Zed endured. His anger melted into profound sadness for all the years of pain he couldn't protect Zed from. He couldn't answer at first so he just pulled him back into his arms and held him tightly to his chest. When he found his voice again he said, "I'm not sure I could handle the story behind why you think I wouldn't want to tell my family about you. I might find I have to kill someone after. Maybe another time when I'm not already worked up by that bastard at your uni. But...yes, of course I'll tell them about you. My mother will dance jig and start planning a monstrosity of a wedding, so make sure you have your parameters set firmly before you go in with her or she'll explode right out of them."

"Wedding?" Zed drew back sharply. "You hardly know me! I can't. Honestly, you're clearly the most amazing man I'll ever meet...to take care of a stranger like this, but I'm still a stranger to you. I know why I'm falling in love with you, but I'm not sure why you feel so strongly about me. You've only seen me at my worst. How could you be so sure of me?"

"You're falling in love with me too?" Of course Chen would latch on to the part he wanted to hear. Zed made the most adorable angry face. "Zed," Chen took that angry face gently in his hands so Zed could only look back at his face during Chen's confession.

"I knew what kind of man you were the day we arrived. Your student ID said you were a student at M University. I went there too. There were five Omegas in my class of 8,000. Moreover, you had no family or friends supporting you or looking out for you. No emergency contact listed anywhere. You didn't carelessly become pregnant. I knew something horrible had happened to you. You're amazing, and you deserved any help I could give you.

"People never let me see their weakness. You don't know any more about me than I know about you but I'm not just a businessman, I'm a successful businessman. CEO of a B Company. I moved into that apartment complex when I was in Uni and I've been too busy climbing the corporate ladder to be bothered to move. Everyone around me is in competition mode every second of every day. People never let me see their weakness. But you..." Chen pulled Zed close again.

"You can't get close to people who never show weakness. I don't think I realized how lonely I was until you fell into my lap. You didn't have a choice, I know, but I realized how amazing you are and how vulnerable at the same time. When you were shaking, I held you, and just being me soothed you. You let me be your hero and I like me like this. I like who I get to be with you. I like all the things about being with you and taking care of you and dreaming about a future where I have children with you.

"And I like thinking about showing you my weakness. Knowing I'm safe with you. Thinking that maybe I could make you feel a little less lonely, too. Like you could be my hero. Do you think you could be my hero? Save me from this loneliness. Give me a reason to go home at night. I'll take care of you. Give you everything you need. Get a nanny so you can finish college. Move to a big place where we can live together and raise a dozen kids. Damn, I'm moving way too fast here."

Chen stopped abruptly when he felt Zed's laughter against his chest. "What?" He asked.

"I can see why you're already a CEO. You know what you want and waste no time going after it. I don't know if I need all that. I think I might just need you. But you should have a Mate that's worthy to stand beside you, so I'll take you up on the Nanny and finish getting my degree. And you're going to need an apartment befitting your status so I'll help you with that as well. As for the dozen kids...we'll take it one at a time and see...I say as if I'll have any power to resist you. I love the way you love me, and I want to be your hero too Chen." He only managed to draw half a breath after this speech before Chen's lips were crushing his in a kiss so hot and possessive it made his toes curl up.