Marketplace

The missing Omegas weren't all in one place. But they had all been sold through one place, along with hundreds of other victims. The deeper Quinn dug into this mess, the more revolted he felt. It was bigger than he could handle so he cooperated with the FBI to shut down the market and all the many buyers and and sellers and their various horrific businesses.

There were many different organizations the police connected him with that help victims of trafficking but they all lacked sufficient housing for the big influx of rescues. This is where Quinn went to his brother. B Corp owned an older resort, still in good shape but with waning tourism interest in the region. They opened it up to one of the organizations to manage as a retreat and rehab until the victims could be permanently resettled.

Quinn located all of the professor's victims. Five died during the 17 years they waited for rescue. Thirty seven had babies that were taken from them by the professor. More had babies taken away during their enslavement. Most of the adoptive parents had no idea. Since the newly freed Omegas had no resources to care for their offspring, and the children were already attached to their adoptive parents, Quinn worked to negotiate situations where the Omega parent could join the family wherever possible, as an extra parent living with them or sharing custody living nearby. After the first adoptive couple stood their ground and ended up losing their child in court, the other couples were quick to make better arrangements.

Some of the Omegas ceded their custody rights in exchange for money to make a fresh start. Not everyone has the mental and emotional strength to maintain ties where they have so much pain.

Three of the Omegas were tracked down by Alpha clients of their owners and proposed to in spectacular style. Two said, "yes!" The third filed a restraining order.

Most heartbreaking were the few who attempted suicide during recovery. Only one succeeded. The funeral was sobering. Few of their fellow victims shed tears. Mostly they nodded in understanding as a minister spoke of the tragedy they had endured and the strength of their fallen peers.

Through everything, the funeral, the weddings, the hospital visits, the family reunions, the criminal trials, the civil trials, everything, Mark stood by Quinn's side. Chen and Zed were often nearby as well, but it was the image of the tall stoic Alpha attorney with the sweet brave Omega tucked under his arm that appeared in news article after news article.

Quinn was fine with that. His brother quietly requested he divert attention whenever possible so Zed could have a peaceful pregnancy. Mark was okay with that too. He wanted to draw attention to the discrimination they'd all faced in the university. He started the Omega Action Club on campus and brought all of them together. The Dean was ousted during the investigation and major changes in policy were enacted to allow more Omegas to enter. Also, a safe dorm was designated for them with added security to protect them during their heats.

As for Zed's continued education, he was assured he could resume classes after the baby was born and his record would not be marred by the classes he abandoned after being attacked.

Quinn didn't have time to plan a wedding, but his mother did. As soon as she saw the bite on Mark's neck she sat her son down to set a date. He was distracted and ended up telling her, "surprise me." So, she did. She conspired with Mark, who never returned to his own home after being rescued by his Alpha, even though they never actually talked about moving in together or getting married.

He got Quinn dressed up by telling him they hadn't had a date in too long and he wanted to surprise his beloved. Quinn's secretary called as they left the house and asked them to stop by the courthouse for "something you forgot." It turned out the thing he forgot was to marry his Omega.

Close family and friends of both men crowded into the clerks office and with no objections they were quickly married. The surprise date was the wedding reception with more friends and acquaintances at a B Corp owned hotel and two nights in the honeymoon suite, the longest Quinn could be extracted from his work.

Throughout the hustle and bustle Chen did his best to shield Zed from the world. Slowly he adapted to being home alone, and then home with someone other than Chen, and then out in the nearby neighborhood. He knew he'd need to push through these steps to feel safe going back to school after baby was born.

Zed's baby bump debuted at Quinn's wedding and the press noticed. News of CEO Chen's baby splashed all over the media. Zed clipped everything in print and downloaded every broadcast. This was his paternity proof. DNA meant nothing. Throughout the media circus Chen smiled and held his Mate affectionately so no one, not even Zed, could think he wasn't carrying Chen's baby.

For convenience, they scheduled Carl and Angelo to visit on the same day. Carl in the morning for a maternity wardrobe and Angelo in the afternoon to make final decorating decisions. When they crossed paths around noon Zed invited them both to stay for lunch. Chen was coming home to join him so he texted for him to bring food for four. A long discussion about style choices and decorating a room as the setting for its owner ensued. Chen bowed out to head back to work before it concluded.

Shortly after Chen left, his mother dropped in. She had thoughts about the nursery which Zed instructed Angelo to ignore. Sensing her impotence in this realm, she turned her attention to the departing Carl and detained them for another two hours discussing the baby's wardrobe.

Detecting Zeds exhaustion, Carl proposed she return to the department store with them and make some selections right away. "I've heard having a first layette on hand helps ease a mother's mind during the last stages of pregnancy," they proposed. "I think Zed here will sleep easier once the essentials are secured. Gender neutral, of course, since he's being stubborn about finding out ahead." Carl shared a sympathetic look with Chen's mom. "Let's go shopping Granny Xi," they invited. Then, they took her arm and she followed, unable to resist his Grandma flattery.