Fashion

An hour and fifty seven minutes after his phone call to Nancy, the doorbell rang. Zed was just out of the bath with damp hair sticking up at odd angles and bare legs peeking out below Chen's old college t-shirt. He couldn't really hide in the small apartment so he sat on the couch and threw a blanket over his legs. The door opened and Zed was sure he heard peppy theme music coming from somewhere as a flamboyant flame haired Carl, from N department store, waltzed in, followed by half a dozen color coordinated assistants and a severe looking man in a formal suit with a metal case handcuffed to his wrist.

"Where is he?" Carl demanded of the air before using their eyes and squealing. "There HE is! The man of the hour!!! Chen, darling, he's adorable! Now we will make him suitable, yes? Yes!"

"Welcome Carl, I knew I could count on you." Chen waved the assistants inside and helped them find room for their cases. But he was a background character in this scene. Front and center was Zed, being drawn up from the couch against his will.

"Please stand and we will measure...oh my! What were you two naughty boys up to? Never mind, I'm sure. Well, that shirt might as well be a dress on you, so don't be embarrassed a bit. I wouldn't have been called if you weren't in urgent need of attire, now would I. And such a sensible partner you've chosen. One stylist for the both of you means you'll coordinate at all times. No matchy-matchy of course, but COORDINATE, like you were always meant to be together." Carl was lifting and lowering Zed's arms as they measured. They entered the numbers into their smartphone without breaking their speech. The assistants had three large suitcases open, besides the rack. Carl handed Zed a black v-neck tee, boxer briefs, and black athletic pants with an orange stripe up the legs. "Go, bathroom, change." And then shooed him out of the room.

"Phillipe!" They snapped their fingers the moment the bathroom door closed and the dour looking man with the case stepped forward. "Chen, darling, I have many suits of armor on that rack for a man about to meet his mother-in-law, but the most critical piece is the shield. You have very little time if you want to surprise him so get over here and choose." Phillipe opened the case and Chen's heart leapt. He hadn't got around to thinking about putting a ring on Zed's finger, but now that he was reminded, he wanted it bad.

"You think of everything Carl," he praised.

"Yes, yes. Well, you only fall in love once." Carl answered. "I fall in love every other day, but you...it will only be once!" They patted Chen's shoulder and pointed to a simple, elegant band with peridots channel set all the way around. "Platinum, and close to the color of his eyes I think. You will think of them every time you look at it. A matched set for this, yes? Not a common stone for weddings, but the trend is for anything but diamonds. I don't think he'll want a big central stone. He seems more low key and masculine for an Omega. He suits you."

Carl was right about the rings. They were perfect. The others in the case only served to prove it by contrast. The sound of the bathroom door knob reminded Chen of their rush. He snatched the platinum and peridot bands out of the case and slipped them in his pocket, nodding to Carl his approval. Carl smiled and waggled their eyebrows provocatively in response. Phillipe closed the case, asked Chen to sign the receipt on his smartphone, then took his leave.

"What was that about," Zed asked as he returned to the group.

"The bill darling, but we don't talk about that," Carl waved the question away dismissively and walked in a circle around Zed examining the fit. "Case C darlings." They directed the assistants to unpack . "That's your basic wardrobe.  We brought options but that's the best for you. Now, we must select a suit. There's no time for adjustments so it will have to be ready made but we have your measurements now for the future."

While everyone else was distracted, one of the assistants had removed the garment bags for everything on the rack and when Carl brought their attention to it Zed was suddenly afraid. He'd never had clothes this nice. He'd never been to places nice enough to wear them. Chen was already examining and approving items, but Zed found he couldn't move forward. Jeans and t-shirts were one thing, but accepting such fine clothes from this man..., "I can't."