Chapter 18 'Parents'

I must have fallen asleep because I woke up to the nurse asking me to go back to my room, so I could sign my discharge papers. I really didn't want to leave Cean just yet, but he still needed to sort out things on his end. I kissed Cean's forehead and went back with the nurse soon afterwards. After dealing with all the paper and actually being discharged to leave. I went back to Cean's room. I stopped at the doorway because I could hear him talking to two other people which meant his voice was recovered, and I assume they are his parents.
   'Cean, we talked with Queenie's parents they sent her away someplace overseas. But, when she gets back the wedding will still be happening,' his father told him.  'Dad, I am not marrying Queenie. She almost killed Koy. If I hadn't jumped in front of him...'
    'Koy?! Is a man like yourself! You can't be serious about being in love with him. Look at what you are doing to your mother.'
'It's my life! I can love whoever I want. And I happen to love Koy, and I know for a fact he loves me too more than anyone. He told me not too long ago.'

    I all of sudden felt embarrassed, so he did hear what I said. I quietly kept on listening to their conversation. Cean's father was not happy at all about the situation.
    'I am not having a queer for a son! You either marry Queenie when she gets back and give your mother a grandchild, or you will be cut off from this family forever.'
'Fine!'
    'Fine what, Cean?!'
'Fine, I will stay with Koy, and be cut off from this family. I don't need you. I have him, and that is all that matters.'

  At this moment, I decided to enter the room. Cean and both his parents were looking at me. I suddenly felt nervous.
   'Excuse me, but I don't want to be the cause of a broken family. I love Cean, but I understand where you are coming from sir, so if it will help, I'll promise never to see Cean again. But, please have him marry anyone else besides Queenie.'
'Koy, don't. I don't need them. I have enough in my savings to get us by for some time. And like I told you I am marrying no one except you.
      'Listen to your friend. He is being smart about all of this. I don't mind you marrying another girl as long as it's a girl.'

    Cean as though his body was being taken over by some unseen force whisked me in his arms and kissed me hard in front of both of his parents. I tried pushing him away, but he only broke free enough to say,
   'I can take it further than this with him if you need more proof of my love and attraction towards him.'
'Cean, that is enough. Your father and I just want what is best for you. We don't know what we did wrong, or maybe it was just me who failed you as a mother. I don't know, but please I am begging you end it with this whatever he is,' his mom was practically begging on her knees.

    I didn't know what to do. I only had my father in my life, and we barely spoke to one another. I was raised mostly by my aunt and uncle. But, I would have no idea on how to bring up my love for Cean to them or the fact that I prefer guys over girls even though I never really been with one. Seeming to read my mind his mom looking right at me asked,
    'Koy, is it? Have you ever been with a girl?'
'No...but I...'
     'Then how do you know you only like my son or guys for that matter. You are probably just confused. I can help you. I know a lot of cute girls who would love to date you.'
'I don't think gender matters when it comes to love. I fell in love with your son, and he just happened to be a guy. I don't want to lose him, but I hate to see him fighting with his family. So, that is why I am offering to leave. And, I don't need you offering me any dates with girls.'
     'Koy, look at me,' Cean turned me towards him, ' I will deal with my parents. All you need to do is just stay with me no matter what.'
'But...'
     'No, buts. Like I said I don't need anyone in my life except you. I love you, okay?'

   Cean took my hand and turned towards his parents. They both looked upset, and I felt bad for them. I wanted them all to be happy. I never wanted our love to hurt others especially when it comes to family. I wanted to disappear at that moment, but Cean held onto my hand tight.
    'Mom, dad. I love you both, and I understand you want nothing, but the best for me. But, I do know what or should I say who is best for me, and that is Koy. You may not understand it now, but in time you will. So, do what you need to do. I will figure things out. But, you are not going to guilt my boyfriend anymore into leaving me.'

    By time he said all that, the nurse came in to indicate to us that visiting time was over. His parents left, and I was about to go myself when he grasped me from behind and held onto me.