A Formal Event

It was well past six o'clock, the time where I'd normally get off work.

I'm still stuck in the filing room, now organizing the papers by myself. Hoseok had left a while back, leaving me to finish the job by myself. Regardless, I appreciated his help when he was here.

On the bright side, however, the papers were nearly all organized. I had managed to make it to the back corner of the room where the last stack of papers sat.

I've flipped through so many papers today that the tips of my fingers were lightly stained with dark ink. I pout as I look down at them. I really regret this job.

There was a knock on the file room's door, and I turn my head to see Mr. Jeon himself standing in the entrance leaning against the doorframe. He still has that stupid smug look on his face as he watches my every move. 

"I see you're still working hard." He comments, his hands in his pockets nonchalantly.

"As upon your orders." I snark, sending a paper through the shredder. "Did you come to give me more work?"

I ignore his eyes on my body as I stand from my seat in the corner of the room.

"Actually," He clears his throat, and I'm already regretting engaging in conversation with him. "I needed to speak with you right now."

"About what?" I sit the papers down on the table and raise my eyebrow in both interest and confusion.

"One of my business acquaintances is having a dinner party tonight," He starts, taking steps toward me, the familiar tack of his shoes echoing in the empty room. "I need a partner for the event, and naturally I thought of my new secretary."

"Get someone else," I interrupt him, not willing to be used for his gain any more. "I'm not going to be your date. As soon as I get finished with this, I'm going home and sleeping. And there's nothing you can say or do that will make me."

His hand slams down onto the wall next to me, trapping me in the corner of the room. I can feel my heartbeat pick up speed as he leans in closer. 

"I wasn't asking." He stares at me intensely, and I can't stop the chills that break out on the back of my neck.

I can hear his gruff breaths as he leans in even closer. I swallow hard one more time, trying not to let him get the upper hand in this argument. If I can show at least a smidge of confidence, maybe he'll back off this time.

My eyes get curious, unfortunately, and they trail down his features to his lips. I find myself staring for longer than I should, and his smirk runs deep. I snap back up to continue eye contact, well aware of the heat that's snaking its way up my neck to my cheekbones. 

"What's in it for me?" I question faintly, trying hard to hold my ground.

His eyes flash upwards a moment while he thinks. "How about a raise? Ten percent?"

I narrow my eyes, not wanting to back down. "If you're going to borrow me for a night then its going to cost you more than that." I barter. "How about twenty percent?"

"Fifteen." He counters in a breath, never missing a beat.

Another batch of silence falls around us as I think it over. He's so close that our breaths intertwine together, and I debate on agreeing with him just so he'll back up. Being in such close proximity with him is making my mind lose its focus. 

"Deal." I hold out my hand out for him to shake, hoping he takes the bait and backs away.  "I'm your date for this afternoon."

He does thankfully,  taking his hand in my own. I try not to notice the way his hand engulfs mine, or the many veins jutting out from his tan skin. The warmth from his palm seems to spread up my entire arm, engulfing me in a heat that makes me both uncomfortable yet intrigued.