Cover For Me

I have two siblings, a brother and a sister. My brother, Ryder, is older and hadn't been around for a while but, my younger sister, Chloe, was only 11 and a major pain in my life. So, when she came and threw open my bedroom door while Two-Bit and Dallas were with me, I knew it wasn't going to be that enjoyable.

"You're not supposed to have boys over when Mom's not home." She crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows, already planning on snitching on me.

"Come on, Chloe. Mom doesn't have to know."  I sighed, moving off my bed.

"And she doesn't like when people wear shoes in the house." She eyed both Dallas and Two-Bit who were both still wearing theres. "And greasers aren't supposed to be here either."

Chloe was only 11 and she didn't understand things if my mom said they were wrong.

Two-Bit laughed, "Now, that's not very nice, is it?"

Chloe kept her arms crossed, a habit she does when she's annoyed, "You're the one wearing shoes in my house."

That only made Two-Bit laugh harder and even Dallas cracked a smile.

"Chloe, just leave. I'll give you a dollar if you keep quiet."

She stood still for a moment, contemplating whether or not this was a fair trade but, finally she came to a decision, "Fine. Next time it will be more." 

She strutted out of the room like any 11 year old who just scored a buck would do and slammed the door behind her.

"You and her are exactly the same." Two-Bit propped his feet up on my night stand, only to have them swatted off by me.

I didn't care if they wore their shoes inside but, that didn't mean I wanted whatever was on the bottom of his shoes on my night stand.

"I take offense to that." I threw myself back on my bed.

"You're both firey." Dallas winked, earning a stare from Two-Bit.

"So are you two like goin' steady or somethin' now?" Two-Bit motioned to both of us with his index finger.

I couldn't help the deep shade of red that my face turned. Dallas noticed and smirked at me, "Nah, I just like keepin' her around." 

Two-Bit let out a hoot, dodging the smack at the back of the head that he almost earned from Dallas. A knock at the door stopped their fighting, and when the door creaked open, Sarah was standing in the doorway like a lost fawn. I hadn't seen her since the party, but I knew she couldn't have been having an easy time with it. 

"Sarah?" I asked, confused about what she was doing.

"Uh, Chloe let me in." She explained, "I was going to ask you if you wanted to come to Riley's but, you look busy." She looked at Dallas and Two-Bit with nervous eyes.

"You don't have to go. You can stay here, they won't mind." I flipped around and mouthed at Two-Bit and Dallas to behave.

"I don't think that's a good idea..." Sarah stuttered.

"Why not?"

She looked at Dallas again, then at me and whispered, "Scarlett, they're greasers."

When she spoke then, I finally understood why the gang hated that word so much. Socs could make it seem like the ugliest word in the world. 

"That didn't bother you before." I held her stare.

She didn't have to say it, I knew she was thinking of Dallas with the heater at the beer blast.

"Sarah, they were helping us." I tried to explain to her but, she just shook her head furiously.

"He had a gun. How can you surround yourself with people like that?" I turned around and looked back at Two-Bit and Dallas who were staring right back.

If it would have been Ponyboy or Johnny, they would have been looking at the ground, embarrassed. But, Dallas and Two-Bit were hardened. They knew they were greasers and they weren't ashamed.

"They're my family."

She threw her arms up in the air, "Will you stop saying that? They're not your family. Your family is your mom, Ryder, and Chloe. That's it. These hoods are not your family. They hurt people."

"Not unless you give us a reason." Dallas and Two-Bit both laughed at the same time.

I'd never seen Sarah so angry in her life as she was when she went stalking over towards Dallas, pushing him against the wall. "You leave her alone, you hear?"

His jaw was clenched but he kept his hands at his sides, "Don't touch me."

Two-Bit was watching carefully, halfway standing and halfway sitting, not sure of what to do. I didn't know what to do either.

"Or what? What are you gonna do, grease? Kill me like your little friend Johnny did to Bob and then run away like a coward? Is that what you're going to do?"

She was treading on dangerous territory. Dallas had patience but, not enough for that. I pulled her away by the arm. I may have hated her right then but, I didn't want to see what would have happened next. She shook me off, "Watch yourself, Scarlett. One day these boys are going to ruin your life, and you're going to have no one to turn to." 

She shot one last glare at Dallas and then stalked out of the room, slamming my door in the same fashion that Chloe had. At the time, I hadn't felt sad about it. The sadness came later, when I was alone and realized that I couldn't call her to cheer me up.  I knew when she walked out of that door we weren't going to become friends again. We would see each other and say hi but, we would never be the same.

Dallas had his eyes shut closed tightly and was breathing heavy, trying to control his anger.

"Dallas?" I asked quietly, walking over to him and pressing my hand on his face.

He didn't respond but, he opened his eyes, meeting mine, taking breaths in the same rhythm as me, until finally it went back to normal.

"I've got to go." He said suddenly, throwing open my window and jumping off the roof onto the ground. He sprinted off into the distance, grass going flying underneath his feet.

I stood there stunned and looked back to Two-Bit who gave me the perfect explanation, "It's Dallas."