Run Baby Run

How quickly he fell; how soon it was over.-Donna Tartt, The Secret History

"I heard you gave my little sister trouble the other night." Tim crossed his arms.

I had forgotten about our little run in with Angela the weeks previous.

"She's drunk." Dallas pointed towards Angela who was looking a little woozy on her feet.

"She knows what she's talking about." Tim took a step towards us, nearly knocking over Angela.

I should have known that Tim would be fiercely protective of his sister, even if I couldn't stand her. 

"You won't hit a girl, will ya Shepard?" Dallas moved instinctively in front of me.

A year or so before that night Dallas and Tim had gotten in a fight and Dallas came back to the Curtis's with a snapped arm. That's what happens when people fight with more than just their hands. Tim was never one to fight by the rules.

"Get out." Tim said flatly.

He looked like he was going to let us go free but, Angela wasn't so forgiving. She came charging at Dallas, a beer bottle in hand. I haven't fought a lot in my life but, I knew enough. Plus, it's not so tough when your opponent can barely walk in a straight line. I grabbed Angelas' shoulder and kicked her legs out from under her, sending her flying to the ground in a not so graceful way. Everything after that happened pretty fast but, the main thing I remember is Dallas grabbing me by the arm and pulling me so fast it was almost painful. We didn't stop running until we rounded the corner.

"Do you have a death wish?" He whispered harshly through the darkness, looking for a cigarette in his pocket.

"I don't know if you noticed this but, she had a bottle in her hand and your head was the target." I snapped back.

I don't appreciate being dragged through the dark and then getting yelled at.

"I can take care of myself." He lit his cigarette with his white lighter.

Everyone harassed him for using that lighter. White lighters are bad luck but, that's just not something Dallas believes in. I didn't bother responding. I just followed him when he walked. He looked like he knew where he was going. We wound up at Mark's house, knocking on his front door.

A tired looking woman with worry lines etched into her forehead answered the door, "Are you lookin' for Mark or Bryon?"

"Mark." Dallas stepped inside without the invitation.

"Thought so." The woman muttered and pointed us in the direction of a bedroom at the end of the hall.

Dallas flipped on the lights immediately, waking up a very annoyed and very tired Mark.

"Well look what the cat dragged in." He sat up rubbing his golden eyes.

"Can we crash here?" Dallas asked, already throwing his jacket off.

"Sure. Take the couch." He didn't bother questioning why we were running around in the middle of the night.

The couch was small but Dallas and I didn't need a lot of space, the way we slept.

"Turn off the light will ya?" Mark growled and I hit the switch and then crawled onto the couch, Dallas beneath me.

"Two guys were looking for you today, Dal." Mark yawned through the pitch black room.

Dallas didn't respond. He was already fast asleep.

"Who were they?" I asked quietly back.

I could almost hear Mark shrug, "They said they knew him. Kinda' looked like him too."