Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

While seeking revenge, dig two graves- one for yourself.-Douglas Horton

Summers in Tulsa have always been brutal. You can't walk outside without your clothes sticking to your skin. They're even more unbearable when Sodapop Curtis is laying half on top of you.

"Get up." I groaned, shaking his bare body.

"Too tired." He mumbled back through his pillowcase.

There was a knock at the door and a few seconds later the door swung open. When Ponyboy saw us his face blushed so red I thought he was going to die right there. He started shutting the door almost immediately.

"Aw Ponboy, come in! We ain't doing anything!" Sodapop laughed at his younger brothers discomfort.

"Dallas is here to see you." Ponyboy said monotone, obviously thinking the worse when he saw Sodapop stretched across me.

Soda caught on too, "Ponboy, nothing happened. You don't got to tell Dal about this, you hear?"

Ponyboy nodded and shut the door, still blushing.

"I guess I've got to go see him, huh?" I sighed, staring at the ceiling.

Sodapop nodded, his sandy brown hair flopping in front of his eyes, "I'll be right behind you. You ain't got nothin' to worry about."

I walked tentatively down the stairs. Everyone in the gang was sitting in the living room. Dallas was sitting in an arm chair and to my pleasure, he looked awful. His dark hair was a mess and his eyes were rimmed red. That's what drinking does to you.

"Scarlett..." He began but, I cut him off.

I hated how afraid I was of him and at the time, I thought I hated him too. I took a step back, leaning into Sodapops chest. He gave me a gentle push forward.

Steve and Two-Bit were standing nervously to the left and right of Dallas. They were just waiting to see which one of us blew first.

I turned to run back upstairs but, Dallas grabbed my arm. I recoiled immediately, "Don't you dare touch me."

I could tell he was frustrated from the way he was pulling on his hair, "I was drunk!"

He said it like that was a good excuse for what he did.

"So what?!" I shouted at him, "You threatened me with a blade like I was some soc you were fighting!"

Ponyboy looked like he was going to get sick from all the tension in the air.

Dallas's eyes wandered towards the bruises at my wrist, "I didn't mean it..."

I pointed an accusatory finger at him, "You told me you would never hurt me!" my voice was dripping with venom, "You're a liar!" 

I turned again and he grabbed my waist. I swung around so fast he didn't see my hand coming until it had already hit him across the face. 

"Do.Not.Touch.Me." I said through gritted teeth.

I felt sick to my stomach. I had done exactly what Dallas had done. Maybe I had more of a reason but, that didn't make me feel any better.

If looks could kill I would have been laying on the floor dead and Dallas would have been going in for murder. The boys decided then was the opportune time to step in. 

Steve and Two-Bit shoved Dallas backwards by his shoulders, "Come on Dal, you ain't wanna be here anymore."

Dallas stared at me for a few seconds longer, his eyes flaring. And then in a second, his face went neutral and he walked out without another word.

"Jesus Christ." Two-Bit muttered when he shut the screen door. "You okay?"

"I'm fine." I rubbed my temples. 

"I never would have believed that if I didn't just see it with my own eyes." Even Steve was shocked. 

I shook my head, I couldn't think straight. I needed to be alone. 

"I'm going home."

None of them tried to stop me when I walked out the front door.