Chapter 5

"What happened?" Jasmine exclaimed, the moment she saw my face. The blotchy purple patch that curled across my jaw was rather eye-catching, and there would be no hiding it from a human never mind an angel.

"It's nothing." I promised, watching Noah as he left, not even sticking around to say goodbye. He had stayed tense and silent for the rest of the days he had been watching over me. He hadn't spoken a single word to me. Jasmine didn't look surprised by his speedy exit – she must know what was up.

"It's not nothing." She shook her head, frowning. At least she looked concerned, as far as I was aware Noah didn't care less. "You went outside, didn't you?"

"I just... I can't ignore it when someone needs help." I admitted, her expression seemed to soften in response.

"Maybe there's a little angel left in you after all." She said, "Even so, that was a pretty reckless thing to do."

"Jasmine... can I ask you something?" I sat down on the sofa, not sure quite how to word my question.

She joined me. "Of course, what is it?"

"It's about Noah."

"Ah." She looked away from me.

"Do you already know what I'm going to ask?"

She shrugged. "I have an idea."

"I just... I don't understand what I did. He's acting like... like he hates me." My voice cracked.

"I'm so sorry Emilia... it's not you, I promise." She sighed, and something about her expression made me think that she was annoyed with him.

"Then what is it?"

"Noah... he's... of all of us he has always been the most devoted to God. Following the rules to the best he was capable." She explained, staring intently at the floor. "He's conflicted. In order to protect you, he's going against everything he has ever stood for. Angels aren't supposed to mix with humans, especially not in a romantic way. And worse still, you're a human that everyone wants dead right now."

It felt like my heart was breaking. Being human... that wasn't something I could change.

"He'll come around." She said, reassuringly. "He's just having a hard time readjusting."

"Right." I sighed. It seemed to me that if Jasmine was right, Noah would continue to carry me at arm's length for as long as I was human.

"I do have some good news for you, though." She offered, the smallest smile on her lips, though something about her eyes made me think she was worried. "We've decided it would be in your interest... to let you go to school here."

"Really?" I perked up, "I can leave?"

"Andrew has a fallen friend that works at the school, she's agreed to watch over you there." She explained, still, she seemed worried.

"Are you all enrolling with me?" I asked, excited at the idea, it felt as though I had been stuck in this flat for an eternity.

"We can't." She sighed, "It would be too suspicious. You'll be safer there on your own."

"You guys were pretty set on keeping me here." I frowned, "What changed?"

"It's still a risk, but we can all see how unhappy you are to stay here. At least this way, you can be free while someone is still keeping an eye on you." She seemed sincere, though something about it seemed off to me... the angels didn't tend to have much sympathy for me being stuck in here.

"When do I start?"

* * *

"This is Sarah." Jasmine introduced me to the blonde woman stood in front of us. She seemed friendly, smiling down at me welcomingly. "She's one of Andrew's friends, and she's going to keep an eye on you."