Chapter 21

I had been left shaken by my encounter with Travis - a thousand thoughts were swirling around in my head. There were so many things I had thought I understood... Hearing the truth about the sword had left me with more questions than answers. And those poor souls wanted me to be their saviour? The weight of such a thing hung above me like a dark cloud. What could I possibly come up with, that no one else had?

And now, there was yet another thing I was keeping from my friends. Perhaps it was time to tell them about my abilities returning... and yet the thought of admitting I had kept it from them left a bitter taste in my mouth. 

I should have told them from the beginning. Everything would be so much simpler if I had. It was difficult to remember my reasoning for why I had ever thought to keep it from them. Perhaps it would have been a welcome distraction for Jasmine.

And poor Jasmine, who was out somewhere, alone in the world. Feeling heartbroken and confused, could I have done something to help her?

Andrew was still camped out on the roof, not wanting to interact with me anymore than a passing greeting as he came and went. I couldn't blame him, I had hurt him, despite how much I hadn't wanted to. I cared for him deeply as a friend, he had been there for me when I really needed someone. I wasn't sure what I could do to help him now. 

I could hear the soft sound of his movements up on the roof, the way he seemed to endlessly pace whenever he was up there. I had grown so used to it now, that I noticed when he suddenly ground to a halt, and two angels seemed to land besides him. 

Instantly, I stood up, hearing him greet Noah and Jasmine by name. Jasmine had returned? I couldn't help but breathe out a sigh of relief, she was alright. Finally, she was here to talk. 

I did my best to act surprised when the three of them entered the apartment together, like I hadn't already known of their arrival. Just that simple act made my stomach drop though - I did not like having to lie to them. 

"Jasmine."  I didn't really have to hide my surprise in this instance - truly, I hadn't been expecting her arrival. 

She still wasn't herself, that much was clear. Though she stood proudly now, with her shoulders back and her head held high, there was a certain sadness evident in her eyes, however much she was trying to hide it. 

"I need to speak to you all." She said firmly. Her voice didn't sound as weak as it had before, it made me wonder where she had managed to find some strength. Truthfully I knew the answer...  she had to have made a decision. And I wasn't sure I was going to like what it was.

"I know what I must do now." She spoke clearly, almost as though she had rehearsed her words a thousand times. "As I have done my entire life. I must stay allied to God. It is what I was always supposed to be doing, the reason for my creation. This... minor deviation from that, was a mistake."

"Jasmine-" Andrew began, a frown etched onto his face.

"I don't want to hear it." She abruptly cut him off. "I'm sorry, but I don't. I won't make the same mistakes you did. I will not follow someone who is evil, no matter the circumstance."

"You know that isn't the case." Andrew objected. "It's not about who you are following, it's about being free to do as you want, you could still help the humans. On your own terms."

"I don't want my own terms." She shook her head, "God knows what is best for me. Every time I have done something for myself, it doesn't end well. I've learnt my lesson. I know where I need to be. Where I can do the most good."

Andrew seemed to want to cut in again with his opinion, but Jasmine shot him a look that instantly shut him down. 

"God above all else." She muttered, "Putting others first... angel or... otherwise. It never works out."