Chapter 12

"Emilia, how could you!" Jasmine exclaimed, the moment she stormed into the apartment. Hot on her heels was Travis, with Andrew not far behind. Jasmine had a look on her face that I had never before witnessed - she was completely enraged. Her jaw was clenched, her eyes squinted, though the most jarring thing was the way she pounced towards me as though she were going to attack. 

I sprung back from where I had been standing, surprised by her sudden move. She shook her head furiously before planting herself down on the sofa, scowling at the wall. "I'm sorry, okay?"

"You're sorry?" She muttered, "For what, exactly? For almost getting yourself killed? For endangering a human? For going behind our backs?" 

I didn't speak, I hadn't even considered the fact that I was putting Liam in danger... would the angels really have killed him simply for associating with me? Though I did notice that Jasmine didn't mention my possession of the sword - Noah had clearly snitched on my whereabouts, but he had done as I had asked, at least. "Jasmine, I didn't mean to-" 

"Do you have any idea how dangerous that was? The place is swarming with angels! Angels who all want you dead! You are lucky Noah found you when he did." 

"I know." I spoke quietly, ashamed. I knew the risks, in reality I shouldn't have gone. And yet I couldn't bring myself to regret my decisions, I had made it out alive... and something had happened, the sword had changed. Something had happened to it. But between Liam's constant questioning on the train as to who that guy was and why the sword had terrified him so much, I hadn't had a chance to check it out yet. I was so close to getting my powers back, I could feel it in my bones. I just needed a moment alone with the sword to figure it out... but so far, the angels showed no signs of leaving. 

"They might have followed you back here." Travis interjected, coming to stand besides Jasmine. "They wouldn't have wanted to do anything in front of the human." 

"Both sides know where you are." Jasmine muttered, it was true... potentially. We already knew that the Fallen knew of my whereabouts... now the angels might know too. 

"The Fallen have been ordered to track your movements." Andrew told me, stepping away from the door. "They know you went to Entilin, right now they're trying to figure out how they can kill you, since they know angel light won't work."

A chill went down my spine, the Fallen knew where I was... and they would kill me as soon as they figured out how. 

"You can't leave the flat anymore, Emilia. It's too dangerous. We will all stay here to protect you. Maybe we can get Acacius to come help too?" Jasmine suggested, biting her lip.

"No!" I shook my head, Acacius was being kept in a safe house of his own - the difference between us being that he was still capable of protecting himself. He didn't need an angel with him at all times. Regardless, for him to travel across the country he would be exposing himself. I didn't want him to get hurt because of me. "No, don't put him in danger for my sake. Listen, Jasmine, I know you mean well but... you can't expect me to sit here and never leave. I won't be a prisoner."

"They'll kill you out there." Jasmine was appalled by my words, her mouth agape. The others looked at each other hesitantly, still processing what I had said. 

"Maybe." I shrugged. "Maybe they'll kill me either way. At least out there, though my life might be shorter... it'll actually be worth living. I can't stay here forever, I can't take it! It's sending me insane, I don't care if they're going to kill me, I have to keep living my life."

Travis shook his head gently, "Emilia, if we can keep you safe, then maybe we can find a way to... to make them change their minds about you." 

"They won't." I said bitterly, Angels and Fallen alike, their most sacred rule was that humans couldn't find out about them. I was human now, I was not allowed to know.