Chapter 6

"Emilia." A voice beckoned, accompanied by cold tendrils that wrapped around my wrists, dragging me forwards. I stumbled as I followed it, my limbs still tired from sleep. My eyelids were heavy, threatening to force themselves shut, it would have been easy to give in, but there was something about that voice... 

Every time it spoke my name, a chill went down my spine, and yet I grew more curious, more desperate to find the source. I didn't know where I was, I appeared to be within some kind of cave system, the various tunnels leading off to unknown destinations. I flinched away from them, afraid of what might be loitering within their depths. 

The voice was familiar somehow, and yet it didn't sound human. The way it echoed down the tunnels, drawing me in closer... it held a distinct note that a human could never produce. Could an angel? A fallen?

I couldn't be sure - but I was itching to find out where it was coming from.

"Emilia!" The voice hissed, impatient. "You must hurry!"

I had no idea why I was rushing, but suddenly I was full of adrenaline, picking up my pace into a sprint, filled completely with the desire to reach it's origin - there wasn't room for anything else, I no longer worried about to whom the voice belonged, I was no longer afraid, only impatient. Every twist and turn I took through the system of tunnels, filled with the loud beating of my thudding heart. 

There was something familiar about the bright light at the end of the tunnel, its warmth inviting me forwards, reaching out as though to save me from the cold, darkness I had come from. 

"Emilia!" One last shout, right as I burst through the light. And then nothing.

I was in a room - so different to the dark caves I had been in just seconds ago. This room was covered in mirrors, the walls curved upwards, like being inside a disco ball, the marble floor smooth and polished - I began to notice drawings etched into the glass of the mirrors, reminding me of cave paintings. I took little notice of them, there was something far more eye catching. There was just one source of light in the room, right at the centre, stood a stone pedestal, within it, an item I recognised easily - Gladius domini deus, the sword of god. 

It was glowing warmly, and I knew instantly that it had been the sword itself calling to me. I crept towards it, my hand reaching out to grasp the hilt, somehow knowing instantly that if I were to touch it... I would have everything I wanted. Just being near it... I could feel my powers returning... if I were to hold it in my hand, I knew that I would be an angel once more, I could feel in my bones that it were true. 

"Emilia... you know what you must do." The voice called once more, and I hesitated, before reaching forward yet again.

My fingers were just inches from the hilt when the voice spoke again. "Wake up." 

"No, wait!" I gasped, throwing my torso forwards in a last ditch attempt to reach the sword. Instead, I felt myself being knocked forwards onto the ground.

I lay there for a moment confused, able to feel the grass beneath my fingertips. I lifted myself up, getting a good look at my surroundings.

I was on the school's sports field, surrounded by my classmates, who were all looking down on me in varying states of concern. They each held their school issued lacrosse sticks in their hands, the game momentarily paused. I looked around myself, noticing my own stick, flung a couple of metres away from me. I sighed and went to go retrieve it, though someone beat me to it.

It was the boy from last week, Liam, I had heard someone call him. I hadn't spoken to him since the incident - to tell the truth I had been avoiding him, wondering how I had such bad luck to have ended up in a class with perhaps the one human alive who could expose me.