Chapter 25

Andrew arrived first. His eyes wide, his expression nervous. He darted around the room for a second, making sure it was secure. It didn't matter - there was nothing that could stop an angel getting in here if it was what they wanted. Nothing except the sword.

The sword hadn't been moved since Noah threw it. It lay on the ground in the corner - I hadn't dared touch it. I longed to speak to Travis, but talking to him meant risking the others appearing too... I had realised all of them who had materialised before me were those I had come across within the sword. It seemed that only those who knew me, who had met me, could communicate with me in such a way.

"Are you hurt?" Andrew asked, rushing to my side to inspect me. His hands flittered across me, wanting to check on me, but not to touch me. I saw Noah watching carefully from a distance, I sent him a reassuring smile, taking a small step away from Andrew. 

"I'm fine." I told him, shrugging. "They didn't hurt me." They can't. I wanted to say. I wasn't human, so they couldn't kill me anymore. The only weapon they had against me was the sword... the sword that had hit me square in the chest, and done nothing to me. 

It was reassuring, to know the blade couldn't hurt me anymore. And yet a part of me was waiting nervously, like I was going to have some kind of delayed reaction to it. As though my angel side was going to suddenly vanish again, without a trace.

It was more surprising when Jasmine showed up. She entered the flat hesitantly, like she wasn't quite sure of herself. We had asked her to help us of course, but I hadn't been confident that she would show.

"You came." I stood up as she closed the door behind herself. 

"I shouldn't have." She muttered, slowly walking towards me. She sighed for a moment, followed by her reaching out to wrap her arms tightly around me. Surprised, I didn't react for a second, before quickly hugging her back. She was warm to the touch, and touching her gave me that flood of energy like it always did. "I'm really glad you're okay, Emilia. I don't want to lose you too."

My eyes wandered over to the sword as she released me. As always, my heart yearned to tell her of Travis. Regardless, my head knew that would be the wrong thing to do. Telling her Travis was still alive somehow, but she had no way of communicating or even interacting with him would simply be cruel.

"We need to leave." Andrew interrupted. "We don't know when they'll come back for you, but it is certain that they will."

"No doubt they will know where we go." Jasmine sighed again. "Still, we can't defend ourselves well here. We need to find somewhere more open."

"Any ideas?" Andrew questioned, heading over to the shelves and beginning to quickly pack things into a bag. "The country, perhaps?"

Jasmine followed his lead, neatly packing up my things as she considered his words. "I don't know this place well enough, maybe we should consult a map..?"

"We can't leave yet." I said quickly, cutting off whatever Andrew was next going to say. All three of them turned to me, surprised. "I have a friend here, Liam. I need to say goodbye to him."

"That's not a good idea." Jasmine quickly dismissed me. "There isn't time, and you would be exposing yourself."

"They already know where I am." I reminded her, "And we don't even know where we are going yet."

"It isn't worth the risk." Andrew shook his head.

"I'll likely never see him again." I said, Jasmine looked at me for a second, a glimmer of understanding on her expression before she turned away. "I want to say goodbye, properly. He's done so much for me."