Chapter 32

My chest seemed to constrict as I stared at the small house before me - as shabby as ever, but it would always be a place I loved dearly, it was my home. It had been so long since I had been here, it seemed too good to be true. It had been a long time since I had last seen my mother, I wondered briefly if she had worried for me - after all, the last time we were together I had told her I had to leave Earth for my own safety. She had no idea that I had actually been living just a few hours away from her this whole time. 

What would I even say to her? Did she think I was dead? Probably... it wasn't like me to go so long without contacting her, but I couldn't risk it. Not until now. Though Lori was no longer in danger by associating with me, this might still be a goodbye. When I leave this place to return to Heaven, I might never return. The sword had always been a mystery, who knows what it could do to me. 

Unwilling to wait any longer, I raised my fist and knocked against the door - being careful to knock gently; I certainly couldn't leave my mother with a door to repair.

After a couple of seconds, I heard the door unlock from the other side, and it slowly swung open to reveal my mother. For a moment, we stared at each other in disbelief. She looked so... healthy! There was a light in her eyes that I had never before seen, her skin practically glowing. She even looked younger!

"Emilia?" She eventually said, her eyes wide with surprise. She didn't wait for me to respond before rushing forwards and wrapping her arms tightly around me. "You're here!"

"I'm sorry it took me so long." I frowned, I had been hiding the fact that I got my angel side back for Jasmine's sake - truth be told I hadn't considered the fact that hiding it meant I wouldn't see my mother for longer. Instantly, I felt guilty. Everything in my life had begun to feel so high stakes, it could sometimes be difficult to remember my life before. Back when all I had was my mother.

"It doesn't matter." She shook her head and smiled, beckoning me to follow her inside. "You're here now, and safe. And... Acacius? Is he safe too?"

My hesitation made her smile drop from her face almost immediately. I hastened to answer her, "He's alive, and safe... as far as I know. I haven't seen him in a while."

"No..?" She frowned, confused. I recalled her being pleased to know that I had met him. "You don't... get on?"

"We do! He's wonderful... I just... it's been a difficult few months." I tried to explain.

"You can tell me, you know." She smiled reassuringly. "I'm rather trustworthy these days." 

I laughed gently, I suppose she was right. If I could talk to Liam about these things, why not my mother? "Let's just say... I've been in danger these past months. It wasn't until now that I could come visit you without putting you at risk. The same goes for Acacius... I wanted to go see him too, but there isn't time..." It hit me suddenly, that I might never see Acacius again. My father... I had gone so long without knowing him, it hurt me to know that I might not get the chance to know him truly. 

"You have to go back so soon?" She questioned. Immediately I felt guilty at having to leave her so soon... Though it was necessary. The sword had to be destroyed. Whatever it took. 

"I wish I didn't." It would have been very difficult for me to leave, once. But seeing my mother like this... capable, and strong. She didn't need me anymore. She would be okay without me. I could rest easy, knowing that. 

"Tell me..." My mother began, as she sat herself down, beckoning me to do the same. I noticed it was a new sofa, and there was even a small tv against the opposite wall. It surprised me how much things had changed - she was doing well for herself. "Are you happy? With the angels?"