In My Dreams (Hideyoshi Toyotomi x reader)

Fandom: Ikemen Sengoku
Reader-insert: Neutral
Pairing: Hideyoshi Toyotomi x reader
Genre: Drama
Word Count: 314

"If only I had realised what a wonderful woman you were sooner..." A resigned sigh left his lips as the sight of Nobunaga and you snuggling closer to each other under the sakura tree brought memories of that short conversation he had with you during the war against Kenshin's forces.

Despite being well aware that you would not return his feelings, he had confessed to you, thinking that would be enough to ease his heart.

"I'll watch from the sidelines and be happy for you both," he repeated in a sorrowful murmur those words he had told you.

When Nobunaga placed his fingers under your chin, bringing you closer for a kiss, Hideyoshi averted his gaze as he clenched his kimono —right above his aching heart.

He was conflicted. He wanted to be happy for both you and his Lord. However, he was not able to feel anything close to happiness. All he felt was heartache, pain and despair. Was this the price he had to pay to atone for his crimes? If so, then he would have to endure it.

He believed himself lucky enough to find solace in his dreams. For in his dreams, you were his and he was yours. Those dreams were like memories of a past life. Sometimes they were dreams of his future life. And some other times, they were dreams of an alternative life. A life where he had you instead of having all those women waiting for him at the gate, throwing themselves at him like vixens in heat. In that alternate world, you were his and his alone. In that other world, he was able to bask in blissful love.

"In my dreams, I'm allowed to love you. All of you," he whispered in utter agony as he turned his back, walking away from the scene that would never fail to break his fragile heart.