Soothing Melody (Kyubei x reader)

Fandom: Ikémen Sengoku
Reader-insert: Gender-neutral
Pairing: Kyubei x reader
Genre: Romance
Warnings: None
Additional Warnings: Fluff | This is my version of Kyubei since Cybird hasn't revealed much about his personality. I do hope you enjoy it
Word Count: 790+

          The glowing sun was still up in the vast cloudless sky on that beautiful, summer afternoon, bathing the verdant forest in a gorgeous golden hue as you peacefully collected some juicy berries. You were contentedly humming a soft tune to yourself as you wandered around the forest when suddenly you heard a soothing melody being carried by the gentle wind. Curiosity took the better of you and you let yourself be drawn to the sweet tune —like Icarus towards the sun— following it till you reached the stream of the nearby river.
          Under the cooling shade of a tree, you spotted your lover sitting on the ground as he skillfully played the shakuhachi.
          "Kyubei?"
          The raven-haired man perked up at the sound of your endearing voice and greeted you with a warm smile as he put his flute away. "I see you've found my secret spot, (y/n)." His tone was as soothing as the music he had been previously playing.
          "It's lovely," you beamed at him, admiring the marvellous scenery unfolding before you.
          "It's... a special place," he admitted. "I come here, sometimes, to relax and play my flute." There was a tinge of fondness in his silvery, bluish eyes as he studied the place.
          "I didn't know you were interested in wind instruments," you commented. "That's fascinating!"
          You were aware that there were a number of things you did not know about Kyubei, but there was nothing that brought you more joy than discovering them one by one.
          He chuckled lightly at your sudden burst of interest and enthusiasm, making your cheeks flush in an adorable hue of pink. "Come, sit next to me," he beckoned with one of his large, graceful hands.
          As soon as you sat next to your lover, he cupped your cheek in his palm, stroking it tenderly as he showed you a beguiling smile.
          "What were you doing out here, my love, running away from your responsibilities again?" He teased as he gingerly brushed a stray lock of your hair, tucking in behind your ear.
          "I try, but they keep catching up to me," you joked, resting your hand in his and giving it a tender squeeze.
          His eyes crinkled mirthfully and he covered his mouth with his free hand as a soft, symphonic chuckle escaped him.
          Noticing that your lover had been eyeing the small basket in your hands you stated: "I came here to get some berries. I want to bake something sweet for you to indulge during your trip."
          Kyubei and Lord Mitsuhide were going out the following day to deal with something —or someone. You were not entirely sure what the job was exactly about, but according to Kyubei: the less you knew, the safer you were. You understood how much he loved and cared about you, so you never pried too much into his business. Knowing he was a kind man was enough for you to place your entire trust in him.
          "How thoughtful of you, my sweet (y/n)," he stated, feeling his heart a-flutter. "Here, rest your head on my lap, love," he instructed upon noticing the momentary sadness that flashed in your precious eyes.
          The moment you laid your head on his comfortable lap, he ran his slender digits through your long, silky locks, delicately massaging your scalp with his nails which sent shivers up your spine.
           "It will all be alright, my love. I will come back to you in one piece," he promised in a gentle tone, successfully soothing your worries.
          "I know. You always do, Kyubei," you said, peering up into his gentle eyes.
          Kyubei's lips quirked up in a pleased grin, and after staring fondly into your eyes for a while, he picked up his shakuhachi and began playing a relaxing tune, letting his eyes flutter closed. You observed him for a moment, revelling in the way his fingers deftly moved over the holes of the instrument and how his long, dark locks swayed in the breeze. His expression was calm and composed as he graced your ears with the wonderful melody he was creating. It was clear as day how much passion he put into it and you relished every second.
          Kyubei and you would be parted for a few days and the mere thought made you feel deep sorrow, but you were strong and —most importantly— you trusted him with all your heart. You knew he would keep his promise and come back to you and into your loving arms safe and sound.
          A contented simper crept across your face as you let your heavy eyelids flutter closed. Gradually, you found yourself dozing off in his warm lap at the soothing sound of the continued flow of the water and Kyubei's melodious and relaxing music.