Chapter 9

(10:00 AM)

Ash and Lana slept in later than they thought they would. The swim meet was at 6:00 PM, which meant that the group had time to hang out or watch the other swimmers compete. "Good morning Lana." Ash whispered softly. "Good morning Ash." she said in return, hugging him as she did. Ash looked at a photo next to Lana, and it was the picture from yesterday on the beach. Mallow was blowing a kiss at the camera, Lillie did a heart symbol with her hands and held it around Ash's neck, and Lana was resting on his side. As the two were heading down for breakfast, Ash apologized again to Lana for making her be in the picture. "That's fine. At least we all have one physical memory from our trip." Lana said in a friendly voice. The two eventually met Lillie and Mallow for breakfast.

"So... you didn't tell us where the swim meet is." Lillie pointed out observantly. "Oh yeah. I just learned that it's being held at the hotel's pool." Lana said. "Wait, WHAT?! OUR POOL IS COMPETITION LEGAL, AND IS WHERE THE MEET IS HELD?! I hope the hotel itself doesn't mind." Mallow called out is surprise. Ash took notice and made an idea. "Lana, I hate to be that guy, but today... you need to train hard! We don't want all the time in between now and then to go to waste." he said. "Alright... if you say so." Lana responded. Once she finished breakfast, she let her food settle in and headed to the pool. The others joined with her and helped her train all day until 5:00 PM, by then, Lana was ready for the swim meet.

(5:30 PM)

News stations from all across the world were at the hotel to capture the swim meet. Other competitors were there holding grudges towards each other. An announcer suddenly began to give his intro. "WELCOME TO HOTEL RICHISSIME! HOME OF THE REGIONAL COMPETITIVE SWIM MEET! TODAY, WE HAVE CONTESTANTS FROM ALL ACROSS THE WORLD." he yelled out. As he introduced the other swimmers, they emerged into the pool area. "STARTING OFF, WE HAVE ANDY SANDERS FROM KANTO! FROM JOHTO, PLEASE WELCOME MISSY KERRIGAN!, REPRESENTING HOENN, WE HAVE SIR OWEN, COMING FROM SINNOH, PLEASE MEET CANDICE JACKSON, COMING ALL THE WAY FROM URBAN UNOVA, WE HAVE JESSE KNOX, SWIMMING FOR OUR HOME REGION KALOS, INTRODUCING, BEATRICE SMIZZY! AND FINALLY, PLEASE WELCOME FROM TROPICAL ALOLA, TRIAL CAPTAIN LANA! Lana looked a lot more confident compared to everyone else. "Show them who's boss Lana!" Ash cheered! "You got this!" Mallow said in turn.

The swimmers got to their diving boards and a official pulled out his starter pistol. "Alright swimmers, 10 laps from front to back to claim the win. Good luck to you all." "3... 2....1" BANG, his pistol went off and the race began. Everyone dived straight in and Lana was able to get the upper hand. She swam so fast that neither spectators or other swimmers could find her. For the first 5 laps, Lana had this in the bag. She would have the occasional straggler come up close to her, but she would just swim by with no care in the world. But it was lap eight where things heated up. Missy Kerrigan was exactly tied up with Lana. "Don't worry Lana! You are doing just fine!" Lillie called out. "Hmph... Come on now! Don't let HER of all people beat you!" A woman right next to them called out. She was Missy's mother. "No daughter of mine is losing to an Alolan!" she screamed. It was lap nine and Lana was barely ahead of Kerrigan but she still held strong. It was the final lap of the race and Lana and Kerrigan were exactly tied for first. It was very difficult to tell who was ahead between the two. But at the final stretch, Lana looked like she was about to faint, she pushed through with all her might but she felt a grab on her leg. But it did nothing at best as Lana got to the end with Kerrigan in sync with her.

The swimmers got out of the pool looking ready to faint. Suddenly, a referee called out a statement that would put the audience on edge. "Lana and Missy. Please step forward." The two stepped up. Ash's heart was beating significantly faster than usual. Mallow and Lillie held Ash's hands in luck. Then the referee spoke to Missy and Lana. "While the two of you would have tied each other for first place, there was an illegal move conducted by one of you." Ash started sweating like crazy. "Seriously ref?! Tell us who won already!" Missy's mom screamed angrily. "Upon reviewing the footage, the one who will be taking the win because of the illegal move of the other is..." Everyone was on edge. "Lana! You will be taking the win as Kerrigan made an illegal move by grabbing your leg." Ash, Lillie, and Mallow went crazy and rushed to Lana to hug her as she received her trophy. The other swimmers shook Lana's hand congratulating her for her win, even Missy herself. "KERRIGAN! YOU'RE IN BIG TROUBLE YOUNG LADY!" her mother called out as she angrily walked towards her daughter. The four got shoved by the enraged mother, and decided to get out before they got involved with something ugly.

The group headed outside of the pool to their room, before getting real far, Lana was asked to be interviewed. She obliged to it. "So, How did it feel to be on edge with Kerrigan?" the reporter asked. "I was scared at first because I thought that was it." Lana responded. "How did you swim so good compared to the other swimmers?" Lana blushed a bit. "Well, my friends helped me train everyday since I arrived in Kalos. Especially Ash. He gave me the courage, motivation, and idea to just keep on training until not until I can do it right, but until I can't screw it up. And that's why I...I..." Lana's face was red as fire. "I love him! I said it. I SAID IT!" she screamed in excitement. "I love you too Lana." Ash said behind her. Lana walked up to Ash and grabbed his head as she rammed her lips into his, kissing him while doing so for ten seconds. "Thanks a ton for letting us interview you Lana. We'll let you two be." the reporter said. The four went upstairs to head to bed.

(8:00 PM)

Upon entering the room, Lana fell asleep almost as fast as she swam. Ash stroked her hair to help her sleep better. "Hey Ash thank you for training me so hard for this moment." Lana said silently. "You're welcome Lana" responded. Mallow and Lillie were talking to each other for a little while before falling asleep themselves. Ash went to bed shortly after as the bright Kalos moon indicated the day was slowly ending, and so was the group's time in Kalos.