Chapter 2 - THAT GUY?

Chapter 2

THAT GUY?

Your POV:

~3 days later~

A knock at the front door sent me scrambling from the living room to my bedroom. This was it. Mom was leaving and life with a babysitter was about to begin. 

I rushed up the stairs and scooted into my room, leaving the door ajar so I could listen to the conversation. My mother rushed to the front door about as quickly as I had run up the stairs. She opened the door and greeted the babysitter with a loud: "Welcome welcome! It's wonderful to have you!" I rolled my eyes. 

The babysitter chuckled and responded with: "Thanks, I'm excited to be here."

The voice took me by surprise. It sound like a man? 

I tiptoed out of my room and down the first few steps of the stairs. I crouched down, spying through the railings. I let out a quiet gasp as my eyes set on the babysitter. This wasn't some old grandma lady I had expected.

He was fairly tall with wavy jet black hair flipped to the side. His tan skin was set upon a muscular frame. His eyelashes batted over his chocolate brown eyes that complimented his beautiful white teeth. A beard of short black whiskers rested around his lips and traveled down his chin and up his jawline. He was dressed in a blue t-shirt and dark blue jeans. My heart skipped a few beats as I looked him up and down a few more times. I rubbed my eyes before looking again. There was no way in hell that guy was our babysitter.

"Let me introduce you to my daughters. Katie! (Y/N)! Living room please!" my mother called, her voice echoing through the bottom floor and up the stairs. I watched my sister emerge from the hallway, a little plastic princess tiara bounced in her brunette hair as she skipped over to the man. Her green eyes lit up and she smiled at the man and giggled quietly. My mom smiled down at her before speaking. 

"Katie, this is Mark. He will be taking care of you and your sister for the summer." 

Mark smiled sweetly at her before kneeling down to her level and holding out his hand. "I promise I will protect you and your sister until your mother returns, princess." 

Katie giggled and took his large hand in hers. He stood back up and she stood beside him, happy that she now had a 'prince' to play dress-up with her. My mom smiled happily before calling my name again. I can't hide forever. I stood up and stepped down the stairs.

His chocolate browns stared deeply into my bright green orbs as I made my way over to my mother. Although his eyes were shining brightly, his face held lots of confusion that he attempted to wipe off with a smile. I blushed deeply, avoiding eye contact as much as possible. My heart beat against my chest rapidly. I felt like I was going to explode.

"(Y/N), this is Mark. He is the babysitter that will be taking care of you and your sister for the summer." 

I looked back up to him, giving a shy little wave. 

"It's nice to meet you, (Y/N)," he said. My cheeks deepened to a shade of dark red. My eyes wandered the floor, landing on a few fairly large suitcases behind Mark. My breath hitched in my throat. 

No fucking way.

I tugged on my mother's arm lightly. "Uh... mom? Can I talk to you for a second?" 

My mother nodded as I led her towards the kitchen and out of earshot of the living room. Once in the kitchen, I leaned against the counter, my arms crossed. My mother's smile melted to a frown when she noticed my posture. "What? You don't like him? I'm sure he will be great with you guys, (Y/N)." 

I huffed and stood up straight. "THAT GUY mom? First of all, he's a male. Aren't you worried about what he could do to Katie? You don't even know the guy and you're gonna let him LIVE with us?" I hissed. My mother scoffed. 

"My friend Susan has a friend named Mrs. Fischbach. Susan mentioned that Mrs. Fischbach had a son that was moving here for his second year of college but he wouldn't have a place to stay until school started. He's very good with kids and he's babysat multiple times. Having him take care of you guys not only gives him a job, but he also has a place to stay to get to know the area better before school starts up again. I wouldn't hire someone if I didn't trust them," she barked.

I sighed deeply. I don't know if I would be able to survive for 3 months with this guy. His good looks alone would kill me, along with... the anxiety. I guess I had no choice. 

"Please, (Y/N). Give him a chance. If you don't like him, I'll find someone new, but you have to give it at least a month. Look how much your sister likes him." 

My mother motioned for me to stand next to her, pointing around the corner to the living room.

They were sitting on the rug together. Katie had gathered many of her stuffed animals, handing each one to Mark and telling him their names. 

"This one is my favorite," She stated, handing Mark a little golden retriever, "I named her Chica. You can have her." Mark laughed and set the toy on his knee. 

"How about we share it?" he asked. My sister nodded, smiling. I sighed heavily, throwing my hands up. 

"Fine, I'll give him a chance."

My mother clapped her hands together excitedly. "Yay! Let me get him situated then I have to leave."

For the next half hour, my mother led Mark around the house while Katie and I trailed along behind them. She showed him every nook and cranny of our home and where everything was located. It's not like she had an 18-year-old daughter who could show him where something was if he asked for it. Eventually, she packed her car and waved us 'goodbye' while we stood in the doorway. I watched as she pulled out of our driveway and disappeared down the road, out of sight for the whole summer. Katie jumped up and down, tugging lightly on Mark's arm. 

"Can we please play, Mark? Pleaseeee?" She begged. He laughed quietly. 

"Of course, Katie. You go ahead to your room and I'll be there in a second. I want to have a word with your sister first." 

My face heated up again. I intertwined my fingers tightly. Katie muttered an 'Ok' before skittering back to her room. I watched her disappear around the corner before Mark stepped in front of me. I let out a quiet gasp at his sudden movement. 

"Let's talk, shall we?" he stated.